Lethargic silkie

khorn11

In the Brooder
May 13, 2021
My one and a half year-old silky yesterday afternoon did not seem like herself. she was hiding and did not come see me when I entered the run for treats. This was unusual. She was hiding and just standing with her eyes closed. The behavior has continued to today. Very lethargic not eating and just standing or laying with her eyes closed. I have been able to get her to drink, I mixed an egg yolk in with some water to give her some nutrients, but I don’t know what is wrong with her. any thoughts on what is going on? Her stool is very infrequent and watery only pooped three times in the last 12 hours. Breathing is not labored, nostrils are clear. No sign of mites or lice either. She has been separated from the flock for the last 24 hours.

Attachments

• E0311193-CBAB-496F-9C98-1E925540D626.jpeg
    E0311193-CBAB-496F-9C98-1E925540D626.jpeg
    614.7 KB · Views: 80
Has she been laying eggs? Has she molted this year? I would make sure to offer her fluids and watery feed plus some egg several times a day. Are there any signs of a respiratory problem? Worming her or starting on an antibiotic such as amoxicillin (Aqua Mox found online) might be helpful. If you can see a vet that might be helpful.

Has she been laying eggs? Has she molted this year? I would make sure to offer her fluids and watery feed plus some egg several times a day. Are there any signs of a respiratory problem? Worming her or starting on an antibiotic such as amoxicillin (Aqua Mox found online) might be helpful. If you can see a vet that might be helpful.
She has been laying eggs, but not frequently. She has never been a heavy layer though. Maybe one or two a week. I did give her an Epsom salt soak bath last night just in case she may be was an I did give her an Epsom salt soak bath last night just in case she may be was egg bound, but it did not seem to change her condition.And I have not seen any signs of respiratory problems. She does not seem to be labored breathing. There’s no wheezing or sneezing. I have not had any experience with chickens having worms before, are there any signs I should look for to confirm that’s what’s going on with her? I have been continually offering some of her favorites throughout the day, but she has not eaten, she will drink a water down egg yolk mixture. She also will drink some plain water with a little bit of apple cider vinegar in it.

Worming may help if worms could be causing her feeling bad. It is hard to know if they have them unless you can get a fecal float from a vet. They may feel poorly, be unthrifty, or have blood, worm eggs, or intestinal shed in their droppings.

Back
Top Bottom