lethargic, Sleep, Hen.

ksmith

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Nor Cal
I am definately worried. I have been otuside all day today and this morning she was fine... But coming to this afternoon she will just lay down, and close her eyes. She will also be way apart from the rest of the flock sleeping away. Not sun bathing, not taking a dust bath, just sleeping. I saw her a couple of times open her beak very big and kind of put her neck out. Any Ideas?? Should I get some electrolyte supplement to put into her water?? could she be egg bound?? HELP!!!

Those symtoms match Infectious Laryngotracheitis. She may be choking on mucas. Any other symtoms? My flock is just getting over that disease. IT is deadly and antibiotics should be gives ASAP.

I checked the disease you mentioned above, and It doesnt sound like she has this. Last night I tried to check her to see if she was egg bound. I was having trouble detecting if she was or was not, but I gave her a warm bath for 20 minutes anyway. After that bath she was up, walking around, picking at things, and such. IT seems like she is more to herself!
celebrate.gif

I am trying to nurse a young hen back to health which I thought was from
Coccidia. She has only pooped blood twice since bringing her inside our house a couple days ago. I have been giving her electrolytes and antibiotics with some probiotic yogurt. Yesterday she was running around the family room and now today she is just sleeping. She is now resting on my belly wrapped in a warm fleece blanket. Is she just recovering on her own?

UPDATE: Arg! She is doing the same thing as yesterday. I also noticed today that she will stick her tail feathers down. They wont be stiking up at all. She just falls asleep standing while the others brush past her. I would give her another warm bath, but I am leaving for church!
hit.gif
I hope she is ok...

You say she moves her neck oddly. How is her crop? If it is puffed out, it could be bound up.

I had a hen that did exactly what you describe: stayed by herself, would just sit down in a patch of grass, close her eyes....it was troubling.
I took her to a vet who did an Xray to make sure she wasn't egg bound, and said she was crop bound.
Lots of water (with olive oil mixed in), lots of grit, and she was great after a few days.
Sadly, she passed away this morning...I am not sure from what, but some of the rest of my hens are acting sort of lost. I would guess they are missing the other girl.

Quote:
Ok, I will check to see if her crop is enlarged. thank you. I am sorry for your loss too
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom