Lethargic week old chick

itsjustmeuc

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2021
Just went to check on my other chicks it seems I have a problem there too! These are kept separate from the older chicks.

These chicks here are vaccinated.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Week old lavender sussex

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargic, sitting down

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Just noticed this morning

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Didn’t appear to be eating or drinking g this morning, not sure about yesterday

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny with spots?? picture attached

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing yet just noticed

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself if possible

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Video attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Inside in a small hutch at the moment with sawdust

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3hMyxth5qS2wwZcZ8

Attachments

• 2FCC3910-7081-4780-8131-07608E571C0A.jpeg
    2FCC3910-7081-4780-8131-07608E571C0A.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 502E82CB-3E5F-4C19-9FC9-D4B56E855BF4.jpeg
    502E82CB-3E5F-4C19-9FC9-D4B56E855BF4.jpeg
    567 KB · Views: 20
  • 67942C1D-101D-40E9-B38E-B4FFE68D3EF5.jpeg
    67942C1D-101D-40E9-B38E-B4FFE68D3EF5.jpeg
    776.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 5CB297EF-616E-4D3E-B797-EA422D14CB5F.jpeg
    5CB297EF-616E-4D3E-B797-EA422D14CB5F.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 18
  • F55BA032-5271-444A-B0DE-FB68C47FF407.jpeg
    F55BA032-5271-444A-B0DE-FB68C47FF407.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
That poop is strange to me, others will probably have more info but I've never seen flecks like that. Have you given any treats? My first guess would be Coccidiosis.
The poop does look weird. I also wondered what those flecks are

No treats just the chick starter

I have just given some electrolytes and vitamins in water. The electrolytes I gave with a spoon and she drank that up. Still haven’t seen her eat but her crop is not empty but also not full.

I do have cocci treatment on hand if required but these guys are inside in my at the moment, have not had contact with any other cooks as yet.

This morning the crop felt kinda soft and squishy. I just felt it again and it feels quite hard and full. I guess that means it’s eating?? It’s still super lethargic though and wobbly in it’s legs. Kinda sticks it’s wings out as well.

Seems to have something wrong with its legs, could just be overall weakness. They are floppy with no strength and it’s feet don’t grab at all

Last edited:
This morning the crop felt kinda soft and squishy. I just felt it again and it feels quite hard and full. I guess that means it’s eating?? It’s still super lethargic though and wobbly in it’s legs. Kinda sticks it’s wings out as well.

Seems to have something wrong with its legs, could just be overall weakness. They are floppy with no strength and it’s feet don’t grab at all
Was she vaccinated for Marek’s? If you look up splay leg, does that look similar?

You might try some nutridrench or rooster booster in the meantime as well.

Was she vaccinated for Marek’s? If you look up splay leg, does that look similar?

You might try some nutridrench or rooster booster in the meantime as well.
They have been vaccinated. We don’t have nutridrench or rooster booster here, I’m in Australia.

I’ve had a chick with splay leg before I don’t think it’s that as she was walking fine before she’s just super weak.

I’ve just checked her this morning and thought she was dead at fi sr as she was lying sideways wings out and flat but she’s alive just weak.

Her crop is empty this morning after being full last night so that’s a relief as I was worried she might be impacted.

Can I use regular bird vitamins as a French or at a higher rate. The one it got yesterday was such a low dosage I wonder how much she got

Hi guys it been three days now and no real improvement.
She will eat and drink if I hold it for her. I gave her water from a spoon or dipping her beak a few times a day. She ate quite a lot of crumble last night but I had to cup my hand around her body to keep her up. I added some brewers yeast to the crumble, gave her a little bit of a b complex tablet and continued vitamins in the water.
She’s still alive this morning but still not rally moving or getting up. I sprinkled some crumble around her and she picked at it but not much. Her crop was full last night but is empty his morning.
She just sits/lays back on her hocks with wings kinda spread out.
What do I do???
Of the three we got my 5 year old son picked this one out he’s so upset and worried

Attachments

• DDD0A8E7-7D62-4AEA-93CE-182044DE2868.jpeg
    DDD0A8E7-7D62-4AEA-93CE-182044DE2868.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 18
  • 0D17414A-CA65-4837-A967-742CD3D7673D.jpeg
    0D17414A-CA65-4837-A967-742CD3D7673D.jpeg
    665 KB · Views: 19
Have you given your chicks any gravel/sand, so the food gets digested. A little sugar water helped my weak one and she's doing great now. But I made sure I sifted gravel/sand from my yard to make sure they can digest. I also read an article about making sure the chicks aren't eating everything that they see. Laying down white paper towels and food and gravel changed my chick's from eating the pine shavings and poop. I add clean paper towels each morning. Then after they know what food is via not food, I will change over to pine shavings. Also having fresh water is important, adding a little apple cider in the water will help with any bacterial overload she may be having. Black sunflower seeds and/or pumpkin seeds will help kill worms.
I am on my very first incubation and hatching. So I am not experienced, just read up.

Back
Top Bottom