Lethargic, with green poop

We feed blue seal extra egg layer pellets and they free range all day. We give them vegetable scraps and scratch sometimes meal worms or black fly larvae.

I have not given them extra grit before because they are always free ranging and digging up our grit driveway.

I was giving her the pumpkin mixed with an egg white for vitamins E and selenium. I gave her regular pellets and crushed regular pellets and plain water with corid and she won’t touch them. I gave her the pumpkin mixed with the crushed layer pellets in a syringe just to make sure she was getting food in her. The water and food I have been putting in with her has been going untouched. I have been giving her the water with Corid in a syringe.

The chicken with the bloody poop pooped on me from above when I was collecting eggs and 42 of them were in the coop and I had no idea which one it was, I suspected it was one of my older ladies brought her in and she pooped in the house 4 times and it all looked normal.

I have not seen mites/lice. That “bloody poop” pic I posted could be a worm? I have palpated her from head to toe and nothing feels out of the ordinary just that she is skinny.

I have no idea when her last egg was or if she has even laid an egg yet, she is only about 7 months old. We have 39 hens and are getting 25-30 eggs a day. Most of them are about a year old, maybe 10 are almost 3.

I tried feeling her crop before feeding her and after and I couldn’t feel anything different.

I walked around earlier and noticed diarrhea on the ground from some of the rest of the flock, so we started treating them with corid.

What do you feed, including treats?

What's the pumpkin, etc. for? Are you trying to deworm her? If you are, then use an anthelmintic like Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole).

You mention bloody poops from your flock? How long have you had these birds? Please get photos of the other poops you've seen.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your birds?
When was her last egg?

Head bobbing? Have you looked for lice/mites, infection in the ears? Is her crop emptying overnight?
Cut out all the goodies and focus on her eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed. Egg, fish or meat can be added for a protein boost.

If you need to finish the course of Corid, then finish it. Corid liquid dose is 2tsp or Corid Powder is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given as the sole source of drinking water for 5-7 days. Don't add any extra vitamins or supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) to their food or water during the course of treatment.

Attachments

• C534B10F-09C1-4EEE-8350-BBE88A4739F2.jpeg
    C534B10F-09C1-4EEE-8350-BBE88A4739F2.jpeg
    745.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 931749BF-9D39-4BFD-9453-61A71564B409.jpeg
    931749BF-9D39-4BFD-9453-61A71564B409.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 7
  • D2B925C5-CD8A-4BEB-8944-EBF78F10F86A.jpeg
    D2B925C5-CD8A-4BEB-8944-EBF78F10F86A.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 8
We feed blue seal extra egg layer pellets and they free range all day. We give them vegetable scraps and scratch sometimes meal worms or black fly larvae.

I have not given them extra grit before because they are always free ranging and digging up our grit driveway.

I was giving her the pumpkin mixed with an egg white for vitamins E and selenium. I gave her regular pellets and crushed regular pellets and plain water with corid and she won’t touch them. I gave her the pumpkin mixed with the crushed layer pellets in a syringe just to make sure she was getting food in her. The water and food I have been putting in with her has been going untouched. I have been giving her the water with Corid in a syringe.

The chicken with the bloody poop pooped on me from above when I was collecting eggs and 42 of them were in the coop and I had no idea which one it was, I suspected it was one of my older ladies brought her in and she pooped in the house 4 times and it all looked normal.

I have not seen mites/lice. That “bloody poop” pic I posted could be a worm? I have palpated her from head to toe and nothing feels out of the ordinary just that she is skinny.

I have no idea when her last egg was or if she has even laid an egg yet, she is only about 7 months old. We have 39 hens and are getting 25-30 eggs a day. Most of them are about a year old, maybe 10 are almost 3.

I tried feeling her crop before feeding her and after and I couldn’t feel anything different.

I walked around earlier and noticed diarrhea on the ground from some of the rest of the flock, so we started treating them with corid.
The reddish material looks like intestinal shedding but the Corid won't hurt the hens. I'd continue with it and see if it makes a difference.

For the not well girl, I'd work on getting fluids into her like you're doing.

The last photos of the 3 poops, I don't see anything amiss. Looks like a couple of frozen or cold cecal poops and a "normal" one.

What do you feed, including treats?

What's the pumpkin, etc. for? Are you trying to deworm her? If you are, then use an anthelmintic like Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole).

You mention bloody poops from your flock? How long have you had these birds? Please get photos of the other poops you've seen.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your birds?
When was her last egg?

Head bobbing? Have you looked for lice/mites, infection in the ears? Is her crop emptying overnight?
Cut out all the goodies and focus on her eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed. Egg, fish or meat can be added for a protein boost.

If you need to finish the course of Corid, then finish it. Corid liquid dose is 2tsp or Corid Powder is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given as the sole source of drinking water for 5-7 days. Don't add any extra vitamins or supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) to their food or water during the course of treatment.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. I've had lots of healthy hens with that eye col
The reddish material looks like intestinal shedding but the Corid won't hurt the hens. I'd continue with it and see if it makes a difference.

For the not well girl, I'd work on getting fluids into her like you're doing.

The last photos of the 3 poops, I don't see anything amiss. Looks like a couple of frozen or cold cecal poops and a "normal" one.
Thank you. She is up and walking around and seems to be feeling better don’t know why she won’t eat or drink in her own. I put the spoon of mashed feed with a little applesauce to her beak and she did eat a little but not much.

Thank you. She is up and walking around and seems to be feeling better don’t know why she won’t eat or drink in her own. I put the spoon of mashed feed with a little applesauce to her beak and she did eat a little but not much.
Can you get photos of the inside of her beak?

She's walking around, any signs of limping, not being able to see?

Try offering her a dish (colorful one if you have it) of wet soupy feed raised up on a block/brick or piece of wood and provide a dish of water the same.

My husband seems to think she is blind, he said when he got her out of the coop she was behind the door and acting like she was stuck there and couldn’t get out. Her pupils reacted normally to light. She does not appear to be limping. I did raise the food and water bowl and changed what color bowls they were in to see if that helps. I will try to take a picture later. Last night when we were feeding her I didn’t notice anything majorly abnormal but she also doesn’t let me keep her mouth open long, she is pretty firstly. It did look a bit on the pale side maybe?

Possible she may have limited sight or is blind.
Does she seem to be able to navigate around objects or just mainly seems lost.
An injury to the head, tumor or even certain diseases can cause reduced vision and/or blindness.
I'd keep working with her. If you haven't done so, I'd get vitamins into her that contain E and B1. An easy way to do this is just to give human vitamins, 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

This article is about giving oral meds, but it also has a few photos of what the inside of a beak looks like. Color can range to a bit pale to pink(ish). As long as there's no white or yellow pasty material/lesions inside the beak or throat, that will be good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

An injury to the head, tumor or even certain diseases can cause reduced vision and/or blindness.
I'd keep working with her. If you haven't done so, I'd get vitamins into her that contain E and B1. An easy way to do this is just to give human vitamins, 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

This article is about giving oral meds, but it also has a few photos of what the inside of a beak looks like. Color can range to a bit pale to pink(ish). As long as there's no white or yellow pasty material/lesions inside the beak or throat, that will be good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
It was hard to get pictures my phone wouldn’t really focus.

Attachments

• 5643A390-D98C-463D-BB9B-2F08B64D8772.jpeg
    5643A390-D98C-463D-BB9B-2F08B64D8772.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 7
  • F1035F75-F2B3-4918-B20C-1B011CC09166.jpeg
    F1035F75-F2B3-4918-B20C-1B011CC09166.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 347A04AF-C0E3-4370-992C-1F993F83F206.jpeg
    347A04AF-C0E3-4370-992C-1F993F83F206.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 6

She seems to be navigating around objects. Another person told me she might be traumatized from when the raccoon got in the chicken coop.

She does seem to be doing better than she was. Attached is what we have been putting in her water, alternating between the two.

Attachments

• 39921CC0-60F2-4FB5-A0DE-ED29B86E288E.jpeg
    39921CC0-60F2-4FB5-A0DE-ED29B86E288E.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 6
  • CF5BAB83-1467-4709-AB98-1EDF0DD60FE1.jpeg
    CF5BAB83-1467-4709-AB98-1EDF0DD60FE1.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 6AEE9EAE-B1EA-4D6B-9DFA-840DACA24143.jpeg
    6AEE9EAE-B1EA-4D6B-9DFA-840DACA24143.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 42277A39-8B18-4236-8032-E456A264A540.jpeg
    42277A39-8B18-4236-8032-E456A264A540.jpeg