Lethargic

roseydv

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2022
I have a 9 month old laying silkie who has been healthy until two days ago. We noticed her huddled in the corner and not as perky as usual. She will usually follow me for her usual treat to the greenhouse but has no interest now. She has been broody kinda sort of for about two weeks. She started when the other two silkeys went broody But then she stopped a few days ago. When I examined her today she feels like she’s lost some weight, and I’m hearing some respiratory rattle, no sneezing, no mucus from nose. Eyes are a bit watery but not crusted. Fed her some vitamins and wet food which she ate. and isolated her with a heat lamp. I will go back give droppers of water . Haven’t seen her poo as yet. Other hens are fine thus far.
Thanks for your help
Judy

Be careful with heat lamps, make sure it is double secured, and not too close. What is the general temperature? She probably is weak from being broody and may have symptoms of a respiratory disease. You are doing well to rehydrate and feed her, and I would offer some scrambled egg, and alternate it with tuna, ground meat or canned cat food. Feed her 2-3 times a day. Have you seen those respiratory symptoms in another chicken before? Tylan 50 injectable given orally or Tylosin powder for the water might help treat those symptoms. Check her crop in early morning to see that is emptying.

Thank you
Actually I had some wet dog food on hand and she gobbled it up.. she perked up once she warmed up a little under the lamp. Shes quiet now, hopefully I’ll see improvement tomorrow I’ll look into the Tylosin

Thanks again appreciate your time

Back
Top Bottom