Lethargy and/or loss of appetite in goats

josh

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Western Kentucky
Lethargy and/or loss of appetite in goats. What do I need to do? My sons goat dosen't look good. And she is close to the chickens. What do I need to do for her?

Last edited:
I would get a fecal sample to a vet asap. Hopefully it's just worms that can easily be treated.
Not a lot of info...
How long has this been going on?
Any other symptoms?

I am having the same problem with a little buck I bought about a month ago. Apparently the people didn't worm him.

I talked to a bunch of close vet/goat friends, and they all suggested worms. The easiest and quickest way to get them out is to get some horse wormer, and feed the goats, the correct dosage for their weight x3.

I gave it to him yesterday, and it seems to be working. He is a little more perky today, but I will have to wait and see if he pulls through. I was getting scared for a while.

Have a vet out to take a look and test her for ketones. Ruminants in late stage pregnancy are prone to pregnancy toxemia and it is important to treat that early if it's the case. That being said, there are lots of other reasons a goat may stop eating.

My pregnant goat is not eating well what should I do
If your pregnant goat isn't eating chances are she has ketosis/pregnancy toxemia. Do not delay getting help for this doe. You need to find out if the problem is pregnancy toxemia or something else entirely. Pregnancy toxemia can easily result in the death of both the doe and the kids and time is of the essence.Treatment for ketosis is propylene glycol. You can give honey and/or molasses as a stop gap measure until you can get her to the vet. The vet will probably treat her with IV dextrose and a calcium dextrose solution. The only real cure is delivery of the kids, but treatment can keep her alive until she delivers. If your vet is not familiar with goats tell him that although cattle usually get ketosis right after freshening with the onset of heavy milk production, goats usually get it in the latter stages of pregnancy. You will have to treat her daily with propylene glycol. One thing to be aware of. Goats with ketosis are often unable to kid without assistance. They lack the strength to push the kids out so the kids may have to be delivered manually.

My pregnant goat is not eating well what should I do
If your pregnant goat isn't eating chances are she has ketosis/pregnancy toxemia. Do not delay getting help for this doe. You need to find out if the problem is pregnancy toxemia or something else entirely. Pregnancy toxemia can easily result in the death of both the doe and the kids and time is of the essence.Treatment for ketosis is propylene glycol. You can give honey and/or molasses as a stop gap measure until you can get her to the vet. The vet will probably treat her with IV dextrose and a calcium dextrose solution. The only real cure is delivery of the kids, but treatment can keep her alive until she delivers. If your vet is not familiar with goats tell him that although cattle usually get ketosis right after freshening with the onset of heavy milk production, goats usually get it in the latter stages of pregnancy. You will have to treat her daily with propylene glycol. One thing to be aware of. Goats with ketosis are often unable to kid without assistance. They lack the strength to push the kids out so the kids may have to be delivered manually.

Back
Top Bottom