lethargy, watery poop, loss of appetite. ADVICE APPRECIATED!

I got a real poop today! First one since we moved her inside. She has had 26 hours of tube crop hydration, so I am happy that we are moving slightly into the right direction. Still no interest in eating or drinking on her own.

@Wyrop Rock, She smells bad, but not yeasty. So probably not vent gleet. This large, more normal poop definitely has a bunch of pebbles in it (some were large enough and colored to easily identify as pebbles), so that must be what the gritty stuff was in the vent--grit!

So, now I am thinking possibly a gizzard impaction, or other dysfunction, which could cause her to have so many pebbles in her poop. Looks like some people have had luck with metoclopramide (promotes GI motility) for gizzard impaction.

@birdhelper84, thank you for your kind words. I am trying to stay optimistic, but also making sure I am prepared for things to not fully turn around :( I bet that your little Ruby was a beautiful little lady ☺

I am not familiar with metoclopramide so would not be able to comment on it's usage.

An impacted gizzard is a possibility. You could try treatment as outlined in this article by @azygous to see if that helps.https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-treat-sour-crop-and-impacted-crop-and-how-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

@HenKat I think you nailed it, impacted gizzard. It happens more often than people think and can be a cause of an impacted crop. Her gizzard seems to be working fine since she is excreting ground up grit and pebbles.
The best thing to do is to remove her source of grit/pebbles/crushed oyster shells etc... My Light Brahma's love to gorge grit and oyster shells, and I have to remove the container for several days. Then when I put it out, I only leave it out for about 10 or 15 minutes before removing it again. Fortunately I dont have this problem with my other chickens in the other pens.

My Light Brahma's love to gorge grit and oyster shells, and I have to remove the container for several days. Then when I put it out, I only leave it out for about 10 or 15 minutes before removing it again. Fortunately I dont have this problem with my other chickens in the other pens.
Had a hen gorge on grit......why I don't leave it out free choice, just spread some on the ground and in their dust bath every so often.

I got a real poop today! First one since we moved her inside. She has had 26 hours of tube crop hydration, so I am happy that we are moving slightly into the right direction. Still no interest in eating or drinking on her own.

@Wyrop Rock, She smells bad, but not yeasty. So probably not vent gleet. This large, more normal poop definitely has a bunch of pebbles in it (some were large enough and colored to easily identify as pebbles), so that must be what the gritty stuff was in the vent--grit!

So, now I am thinking possibly a gizzard impaction, or other dysfunction, which could cause her to have so many pebbles in her poop. Looks like some people have had luck with metoclopramide (promotes GI motility) for gizzard impaction.

@birdhelper84, thank you for your kind words. I am trying to stay optimistic, but also making sure I am prepared for things to not fully turn around :( I bet that your little Ruby was a beautiful little lady ☺
yes she was ruby loved being held huged..she passed in my arms and barf came out of her beak without thinking i cleaned her little beak then remembered she just passed i had a brake down at that point it still hurts 9months later

She went to the vet last week Tuesday, and had cocci and bacterial overgrowth in her poop.

She had a one time dose of penicillin, and was started on Albon suspension. This morning we finished up the 5th day dose, and then she started eating and drinking on her own again!

Today is the first day in about 10 days that she has had any interest in food or water, and I am so happy! :wee

In addition to the medications, we had done pedialyte hydration, then after she was well hydrated we did a combination of pedialyte, yogurt whey, and a chlorella/cilantro solution.
I had a pretty narrow gauge tube, so couldn't get anything else more solid through.

Over time she did poop out a few more pebbles, so hoping the gizzard is working properly.

I know we aren't quite out of the woods yet, but thank you to everyone for your advice and encouragement! @aart, @wyrop rock @dawg53 @Sally PB @hayley3 @birdhelper84

She went to the vet last week Tuesday, and had cocci and bacterial overgrowth in her poop.

She had a one time dose of penicillin, and was started on Albon suspension. This morning we finished up the 5th day dose, and then she started eating and drinking on her own again!

Today is the first day in about 10 days that she has had any interest in food or water, and I am so happy! :wee

In addition to the medications, we had done pedialyte hydration, then after she was well hydrated we did a combination of pedialyte, yogurt whey, and a chlorella/cilantro solution.
I had a pretty narrow gauge tube, so couldn't get anything else more solid through.

Over time she did poop out a few more pebbles, so hoping the gizzard is working properly.

I know we aren't quite out of the woods yet, but thank you to everyone for your advice and encouragement! @aart, @wyrop rock @dawg53 @Sally PB @hayley3 @birdhelper84
:weeYay! Them cocci are nasty little buggers...glad she is recovering! I didn't realize how beautiful my Bella was until she recovered from the cocci and worms. Her feathers are so beautiful now, once again.

i am so happy for you i pray your little one makes a full recovery and for you to enjoy many years with your little baby!

Back
Top Bottom