Let's be honest folks!!!

Wilbilt,

Great point. You are exactly right about the Roto-zip! If your not ready, it will have it's own plan for how things should turn out. I spent some time practicing before I used it on my "real" wood. Also, keep in mind that the speed of the cut is determined by the thickness of your wood.

I am curious what that T1-11 siding costs in your vicinity. I was going to use it, but it is $50/sheet here. I went with OSB ($10/sheet) and still ended up spending way more than I had planned.

It's not T-11 but basically the same, was called P;ytanium. This was 3/8 inch exterior sheathing, rough one side, pattern was 4 inch groove. Cost me $18 a sheet back 2 years ago at Home Despot (pun intended). Purchased 3 sheets and that did nesting boxes, sliding doors, sides and roof (turned upside down for roof). I had a partial sheet of 1/2" plywood on hand to use for the floor. Lacquered the surface. Forgot to add that the 3/8 inch not only was lighter but allowed me to use lattice wood connectors as the trim/slider grooves on two doors. Worked slick and were only 2 bucks a 8 ft length.

I couldn't find the plytanium at HD online but here it is at Lowes, same price, rough surface one side, 4 inch on center groove:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_19345-44903...currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=plytanium&facetInfo=

Last edited:
My coop took about 8 weeks mostly just weekends.
It cost MORE than I expected. The paint and stain was lots more $ than I thought it would be.
Metal roof was from the "junk pile",most the 2x4's and 2x6's were already laying around, the windows were a recycle... The hardware cloth was lots of $ but I wanted my girls safe so it was worth it.
It's fully insulated and wired also.
I saved reciepts but am afraid to add it up :) I will guess about 1500.

Great Thread!
pop.gif

We are taking off 3 days from work, plus the weekend to build ours. I really hope it doesn't take that long! Building the prefab frame for the greenhouse first, then will measure the areas we are enclosing with wood, will add the wood - then we'll need to rent a Uhaul and get some hog panel for fencing (already have the required amounts of hardware cloth for that - way too pricey!). I'm hoping that the hog panel and the wood for the coop is all the extra that we'll need to spend. Just a couple weeks away from building and boy - I'll be ready for these ducks and chickens to get outta my basement!

We have two weekends and $250 into our coop. On budget, because I did my homework first. We didn't have any materials to reuse, so everything was new. Fun family project!!

PS. Sides of run were salvaged cage.

Last edited:
4 1/2 months, including 2 - 1 week vacations. I used old fence and painted every piece of wood before attaching it. I made many mistakes, did things back wards, upside down, too long, too short, wrong hardware, and just plan clumsiness. But I got it done and it is certainly not the prettiest, but I think it is strong enough and safe enough for my 3 chickens. And I think it cost 600 to 800 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom