Let's get this part over with....

JeremiahLee

Songster
May 13, 2019
Spartanburg, Souith Carolina
Hello all and thank you for your support! I'm not Jeremiah Lee. He died over 100 years ago, I think. I liked his name so I chose that instead of my own, although my last name is Lee, lol. So I understand an introduction is in order? I've been writing for a bit in "BackYardChickens" for a bit but guess my manners failed me, so here goes the quick version.

I have around 30 quasi free range chickens that begin by default. My next door neighbor raised about six RIR hens. He had a rooster and dumb me did not put two and two together to realize what that rooster was being raised for. I now know and realize why that rooster left one night and never was returned in his cage. I cannot abide the thought of chicken fights. It sickens me.

Anyway, he quit feeding his hens. Everyday they would walk up to me and when I was sitting on my porch I would throw out some seeds for them. They got so friendly they actually would eat out of my hands, lol. I started feeding them every single day because he wouldn't. Well, that was well and good but even though he had abandoned them, they continued laying their eggs for HIM. I'm generous but not stupid. I told him I was going to keep them and when I say "keep" I meant keep. I put a large six or seen foot mesh fencing around a huge area in my side yard, "installed" two prebuilt chicken coops with nesting boxes, and have expanded it. I added six Leghorns, raised in my dadgum guest bathtub (I've done this one other time and I promise it won't happen again). The Leghorns are the funniest ones because they are so social with me. They "talk" to me when I go in the pen every morning. The RIR's are just nosy, and mean when they're broody.

I'm the guy that wrote about the vicious attack from the Red Tailed Hawk and my "fetching the Daisy BB gun" to ward off the massive raptor. I've written other post and all of you have been so helpful. I appreciate this place and the people and thank you whole-heartedly for your support. I use some of the nine eggs I get a day (or was getting) and give the rest to the homeless soup kitchen. I know I go in the hole money-wise with my buying the feed and all, but I've enjoyed this newfound hobby. I have MS and Crohn's disease and am disabled, but I love doing this. My neighbor helps so much and I'm grateful. He doesn't talk to them like I do, but that's OK. I don't think they have much to say to him either. I'm in South Carolina upstate and am 63 years old. My two grown children think I'm crazy for doing this, but that's their problem. lol. I won't allow my neighbor to just let the excess roosters out just because I know they'll get run over by a car or eaten by God knows what. At the same time, I'm not gonna pluck a chicken. He thinks he knows how and perhaps he can, but you cannot eat a chicken you've named! Actually, I can't imagine doing it, although I've had to "take care" of an aggressive rooster, if you know what I mean. I learned that you never assume your neighbor has sharpened an ax blade so that one whack will do what is necessary. He didn't, it didn't and I resorted to emergency measure with my own knife and medical school anatomy knowledge to quickly end the saga. I promised there would NOT be a next time. I do wonder, however, with so many new roosters that were hatched, what to do with them because everyone is giving them away, or "trying" to. The market is flooded with free roosters. These adolescents are about to challenge my Pete and that won't be a pretty sight.

Well that's who I am "chicken-wise." Now I can check that box and say "I've done that now." Take care, all.

Last edited:
Hello, Lee, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The most humane thing to do with all those extra cockerels is to put them in your freezer. They would have a far superior life than the chickens offered for meat in the grocery stores.
So you're saying to raise the roosters and whenever they're "ready" for harvesting, do it and freeze them? I didn't know roosters were good meaty birds to eat (city boy here).

So you're saying to raise the roosters and whenever they're "ready" for harvesting, do it and freeze them? I didn't know roosters were good meaty birds to eat (city boy here).

It makes sense to use your excess roosters for meat. There are so many around, they can be difficult to re-home. If you try to keep all that you hatch, you may end up with issues, although some members do create all rooster flocks.

Of course!
You'll have to cook them slowly, or so I've read, but raising your own meat birds is so much more humane than supporting the commercial chicken industry.

What a GREAT story and introduction! A belated welcome to the forum.

I have a lot of surplus roosters also, most of them little bantam crosses too small to eat and like you too soft hearted to butcher. I have a rooster pen they go into to live out their lives if they can't work out their pecking order or pester the hens too much. That doesn't mean I don't use extreme prejudice with the occasional troublemaker or misfit. It just doesn't happen often in my flock and where I live, you can't give roosters away as everyone has chickens.

Sure look forward to seeing you post about your flock and experiences.:frow

Back
Top Bottom