Let's hear it for Coop Knox!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LilyBee, Nov 19, 2010.

1. LilyBee

LilyBee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    A few weeks ago, a fox tried digging into our run, only to give up after being deterred by a skirt of hardware cloth. The other day, I was disturbed from my work by a loud, panicked *BGAWK* only to discover a hawk sitting on the run trying to figure out how to penetrate the welded wire covering on the run to get to the tasty morsels running around beneath it. Last night some critter tried digging into the run in four different locations, again deterred by an abundance of hardware cloth. And we live in a big city!! We spent a ridiculous amount of time (10+ months), money (embarrassed to say how much), and energy (phew!) building a very fortitude home for our new pets, and I am so glad it is paying off! I spent way too many hours pouring through the BYC archives learning about the do's and dont's of coop construction, and am grateful for all of the invaluable information shared by you fabulous BYCers. So thanks!!

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Well it is good to know all of your precautions are working.

3. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

What No Hotwire! LOL Glad to know that its working and you took all the precautions! There is nothing worse than losing something you love!!

4. Baylen

Baylen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Baltimore
    How far does the skirting stick out from the run? I've seen a fox circling our coop/run for the past 3 mornings. I'm too afraid to let the chickies out before going to work and now they're being held hostage until someone comes home to let them out! I hate this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by