Lets play a game! LOL

Heathero617

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Mosheim
Ok i was out feeding this morning, and after talking with someone here last night about our new chicks, I decided to see if anyone can help me identify my birds and sexes. Its a guessing game to me and am counting on you fantastic experts to guide me! It's getting ready to storm so these were taken in a hurry. I know there are a lot of them, but i tried to get 1 good pic of each, I dont think i was successful, but i tried.

103_2141.jpg
This is the lightest colored of this breed >forefront<

103_2121.jpg

103_2120.jpg

103_2118.jpg

103_2117.jpg

103_2114.jpg

103_2113.jpg

103_2112.jpg

103_2111.jpg

103_2110.jpg

103_2105.jpg

They are mostly cockerels - sorry. Looks like you picked chicks out of the rooster bin or had a bad run at picking them out of the straight run bin.

The 2 red ones are Production Reds and look like pullets.

The barred ones look like Sex-link roosters and the White are Delaware roosters.

Quote:
Yeah the red ones are sexlink pullets, but i wasnt sure what "brand".

So, my inklings were right and they all pretty much look like roos? I wasnt completely sure with the lighter barred one as the body type seems rounder than the others to me, maybe he/she just gets more of the food LOL. Well, if this is the consensus I guess i have some 3 month old chickens up for grabs in the Greeneville Tn area!

they look like roo's to me too, I've had the same problem with straight runs i picked all roo's i'm still waiting for my younger ones to get old enough to tell i'm really hoping i did better with them
fl.gif

Quote:
Yeah, now i'll have the fun task of finding them new homes. My dad, manly guy he is said we'll have fresh chicken...but i'm sorry, i can not kill or eat those which i have raised. I have a real hard time with that aspect of "farming" unless its veggies we're talking about!

I've eaten my birds before. Delawares in particular are delicious in my experience! The taste of grocery store chicken doesn't even compare. Wait till they get a little older and meaner and you might not feel as bad about it. I had a Dellie roo I was quite fond of until he chased down one of my kids. We had Coq a Vin not long after that and it was amazing!

Ok due to a few other conversations about my chickies, i've taken some up close facial pictures. I have 1 of each breed who does not have the waddles like the others in the bunch. here they are.

103_2149.jpg
Sold to me as a barred/white rock mix..note small nearly non exsistant waddles

103_2154.jpg
Same breed same clutch note the large waddles

103_2156.jpg
again, larger waddles

103_2153.jpg
I notice the large waddles on these guys and very red

103_2155.jpg

103_2157.jpg
This one appears to have much smaller waddles and comb is still pretty pale compared to the others.

Last edited:
Quote:
Dont' be sorry, but what makes you say that? In my reading and looking at pictures, it seems that barred rocks, both male and female have large combs and waddles. Is there something in particular telling you that they are all male?

Quote:
Dont' be sorry, but what makes you say that? In my reading and looking at pictures, it seems that barred rocks, both male and female have large combs and waddles. Is there something in particular telling you that they are all male?

Their color.

Back
Top Bottom