Let's see how good you REALLY are! Button Quail Identification! ;)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by obsessedwithbirds, Feb 2, 2011.

1. obsessedwithbirds

obsessedwithbirds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    East Lansing
    Okay, I hatched 15 little button quail the other day! I've done some digging, but I'm still not sure what I've got! I've posted some pics, but I must apologize in advance because 1.) the photos SUCK and 2.) The chicks are a little damp from their water [​IMG] GEEZ they're hyper!!

I've never RAISED buttons before, but they're quite fun so far!!

[​IMG]
    Okay, this is the first guy; I'm guessing he's going to be white, but do you think it will be SOLID white or will it have black markings on the back of the head or anything? I've only got one like this

[​IMG]
    Then I've got #2; he's fairly dark above, but is light yellow below. He also has yellow wing-tips. No idea what he is. Got several like this.

[​IMG]
    Then there's #3. I'm guessing it's a "Golden Red-breasted" or "Darth Vader"...and thoughts? I've only got 1 like this.

[​IMG]
    #4... perhaps a cinnamon? I have 2 of these little guys!

[​IMG]
    I think #5 is a wild-type button quail, but I have several of them and they are slightly different shades of brown/buff

[​IMG]
    Finally, #6 is almost black. In fact, it's black with sparse reddish brown feathers in the head. Again, not sure, but maybe a blue-faced? I think I have 2 of them.

Sorry again for the poor photo-quality! Let me know what you think!

-DJ [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    #1 is white; #2 looks like it might be a wild or a wild pied; #3 is a red breasted; #4 is a cinnamon blueface; #5 looks like a golden pearl; #6 is a blueface. [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:YEAH, WHAT SHE SAID...........

SORRY I DONT DO PIGMY QUAIL [​IMG]

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Shelley got it as always [​IMG] #2 is pied.... it will have a few white flight feathers maybe a white spot on it's chest no matter if it is male or female (hard to see in that pict)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by