Let's talk about Coryza

Hey guys I need assistance I am new to raising chicken a got a great healthy bunch on chicken around 3 months ago then about a month ago I decided to add more I bought these chickens from a guy and he told me they where young that's why they where thin I didn't realize these girls were actually sick I about three weeks ago my original flock along with the new flock started getting puffiness around the eyes and wheezing I've had 4 die on me so far but my research bought me to the assumption That they Infectious Coryza since most of them seem to be having the same symptoms online threads say to cull the whole flock and start over or use tylan 200 which I injected 1/2 a cc once and then once more in about 48 hours i gave them the second shot but still have some of them with swelling I would prefer not to cull all of them since I have invested time and money in them plus I would in the future like to add chickens I am currently raising in a seperate coop anybody have any advice to further there healing

Last edited:
Hey guys I need assistance I am new to raising chicken a got a great healthy bunch on chicken around 3 months ago then about a month ago I decided to add more I bought these chickens from a guy and he told me they where young that's why they where thin I didn't realize these girls were actually sick I about three weeks ago my original flock along with the new flock started getting puffiness around the eyes and wheezing I've had 4 die on me so far but my research bought me to the assumption That they Infectious Coryza since most of them seem to be having the same symptoms online threads say to cull the whole flock and start over or use tylan 200 which I injected 1/2 a cc once and then once more in about 48 hours i gave them the second shot but still have some of them with swelling I would prefer not to cull all of them since I have invested time and money in them plus I would in the future like to add chickens I am currently raising in a seperate coop anybody have any advice to further there healing

I think it's up to you to be honest. All mine are much better but a rasp comes back here or there! I culled zero. But I don't know if you plan to sell them or if you do if they infect others. Of course that's my opinion.

I think it's up to you to be honest. All mine are much better but a rasp comes back here or there! I culled zero. But I don't know if you plan to sell them or if you do if they infect others. Of course that's my opinion.

I Wouldn't sell any of the originals but if there's a vaccine or something that I can give to the new ones coming in that I can give them to keep them from contracting it that would be much better just as a preventative

I used Rylan on mine and vacc them twice.everyone is ok.I didn't loose but only one out if 75.still don't know if it was coryza. If it comes back I going to have them tested.my birds didn't have any bad smell them .stay in touch. Keep us up dated.good luck

So far I have noticed the puffy eyes nose drainage and wheezing but no weird smells .I did the tylan 200 and some still have the puffiness in the eyes and one has one eye shut completely but I haven't heard any wheezing or sneezing and haven't really noticed any more drainage I hope I was wrong and it was not coryza but I'll will watch them a couple more months while my other chicks gain the size they need to join the adult flock if anything recurs or continues I will definatly have one tested but I will keep you guys updated thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom