Lets talk about goats!

What is the dose for noromectin I know it's generic for ivermax do u give the same dose per lb r is it different if different what is it thanks

A cough does not equal lung worm. There are 50 different things that could cause it. I would suggest you determine the cause before you decide on a treatment. This is how we get resistant worms.

ETA I think that came out a bit rude sounding, lol. It wasn't meant that way. Just factual.
smile.png

I agree, people cough, cows cough, and pigs cough.

I learned a very good lesson when I used to raise tropical fish. Don't worry them to death.

The same holds true for animals. I have raised pigs and sometimes they get off feed. The first time I used antibiotics and they got better quick. The next couple times I did nothing and they got better just as quick. I have raised pigs for about 6 years now and never lost one to sickness. I lost a few at the butcher shop though.

PS. gonna look at some goats on the morrow...and sheep.

Last edited:
Here is a new one for everyone. A doe of mine needed her teeth floated yesterday. Like a horse gets their teeth floated. She'd been exhibiting the same signs and symptoms of a horse with dental issues, and had a laceration on the inside of her cheek from the sharp bits of tooth contacting the cheek. The teeth on her right side were taller and more jagged, causing her problems chewing plus the wound. Now that they're evened out, she is already eating better. No more dropped food, pocketing in that bad cheek, etc.

The vet did have to give her a mild sedative to get her to relax for the procedure. Though she is apparently very resistant to what she was given, since all she got was a bit wobbly when she should have been sedated enough to lay down. The dose was so that she was 'there' but not going to fight and stress out. Still got it done, though.
That is very interesting! Glad you got her fixed up!

What kind of wormer do you used for lung work I have a goat that has a cough n I wanna treat her for lung work but my local feed store couldn't help me

I got my vet to come look at her yesterday n it was lung work she gave me medicine to give her

Lungworm* not lung work ;)

Did the Veterinarian do a fecal test for the lung worm, or just guess? Yes, there is a fecal sedimentation that can isolate lung worm eggs, but tends to be more pricey than a normal fecal. But it always good to know for sure.

H Diamond is right in that a cough can have countless different causes. Declaring it lungworm, when it is actually rather improbable compared to a bit of irritating hay dust, for example, will just lead to improperly using wormer and other medications. I'm not a new age hippie who is against medications, but I am all for saving it to use it when necessary, rather than just dumping it down the goat all willy nilly. That will lead to resistance, meaning eventually, we'll have no medications that work.

Last edited:
So as I am looking into showing 4-H pygmy goats, I thought I saw something about having to dehorn them, but then later on they said you didn't? My pygmy goat is solely our pet. If anyone has any idea??? If not, thank you anyways.

Back
Top Bottom