Lets talk about goats!

I have a Nigerian doe that has had a full udder for a couple of weeks now. It seem like she will never pop. But we are getting nasty weather so maybe today...or later on. I always look at a full udder as the test...and she is full.
If her udder is really full and she is due soon, you might be better off to just start milking her. I have had does who carried a full udder of milk for some time before freshening and then don't milk a darn that lactation. Apparently, due to the pressure of the milk in the udder, they start the drying off process before they even kid. It is something to be aware of.

If her udder is really full and she is due soon, you might be better off to just start milking her.  I have had does who carried a full udder of milk for some time before freshening and then don't milk a darn that lactation. Apparently, due to the pressure of the milk in the udder, they start the drying off process before they even kid. It is something to be aware of.
thank you, I will take it into consideration. Does milking mess up the colostrum?

Hi all. On top of owning a flock of silkies, I raise ADGA recorded grades and ABGA spotted/dappled painted boer goats.

Last edited:
If her udder is really full and she is due soon, you might be better off to just start milking her. I have had does who carried a full udder of milk for some time before freshening and then don't milk a darn that lactation. Apparently, due to the pressure of the milk in the udder, they start the drying off process before they even kid. It is something to be aware of.

I know this will help prevent mastitis, but would this not impair the supply of colostrum?

Originaly posted by haileybass View Post

Yea it's her ligaments. And she has good wind block but I live in tx so it's not cold. Her udder just seems more droopy and full.

I have a Nigerian doe that has had a full udder for a couple of weeks now. It seem like she will never pop. But we are getting nasty weather so maybe today...or later on. I always look at a full udder as the test...and she is full.

She just got her udder 2 days ago so she's not all the way full

Thank you all. I'm fond of the spots and dapples but my one traditional is awesome and built like a tank. She was bottle fed and is super friendly so don't think I could ever part with her. We have a couple dairy goats too that are lamancha/alpine and they are quite large for dairy goats. Here is a pic when they were first born. Mind you they are twins and look completely different:

Back
Top Bottom