Lets talk about goats!

Pics
Awe! She is an absolute beauty! I love her coloring and best of luck with her breeding:D

Thank you so much. when she was lactating before, she would give about a gallon of milk a day!!
big_smile.png
So she's an awesome milker.

I think she's part Nubian, part Alpine, or Toggenburg.

Why do peopel keep suggesting part Toggenburg for this goat? In my experience, if you cross a Togg with anything the kid will be colored Togg brown. Toggs with Saanens are usually white. That said, this kid could very well be a Nubian Alpine cross, but there is no way of knowing.

We had 2 Nubian Toggenbergs and they looked like that. They were Lee and Leo but when they started getting out they became steak and stew.

I have a question about my goats. The temp. here has been reaching record breaking lows, with wind chills down to -45. I have 2 nubian goats one is 2 and the other is 7 months. They are in an inside pen, with 4 bales of straw, bi t its still freezing in there. My parents wanted me to bring them inside the house, which is extremely tempting, since they're my babies; but isn't it worse to bring them in then take them back out? I want my babies to be warm, but I dont want them to get sick. So, my question is, should I bring them in for these frigid nights? Or keep them out?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a question about my goats. The temp. here has been reaching record breaking lows, with wind chills down to -45. I have 2 nubian goats one is 2 and the other is 7 months. They are in an inside pen, with 4 bales of straw, bi t its still freezing in there. My parents wanted me to bring them inside the house, which is extremely tempting, since they're my babies; but isn't it worse to bring them in then take them back out? I want my babies to be warm, but I dont want them to get sick. So, my question is, should I bring them in for these frigid nights? Or keep them out?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes it is worse to take them inside then back out. Are the goats shivering at all? As long as they have dry bedding and there are no drafts they should be fine. You can make sure they have a deep layer of straw bedding, make sure they have lots of hay to last through the night,and bring them warm or hot water right before bed. If they have enough long stemmed hay they will eat it during the nigh and it takes a while to digest so it will keep them warm. You can also stack the staw bales in a corner to kinda make a small insulated area

I just gave them some hay and grain about an hour ago and took out 3 gallons of hot/warm water. I rake all the straw into the corner of their pen they sleep in every time I go out to them, but every time I put a bale in there they tear it apart. They dont quite understand its for their benefit lol, it gets kinda frustrating sometimes. The straw is layered several inches in the corner, maybe up to a foot deep in some areas. So you think they'll be okay out there?

Back
Top Bottom