Lets talk about goats!

Pics
I just gave them some hay and grain about an hour ago and took out 3 gallons of hot/warm water. I rake all the straw into the corner of their pen they sleep in every time I go out to them, but every time I put a bale in there they tear it apart. They dont quite understand its for their benefit lol, it gets kinda frustrating sometimes. The straw is layered several inches in the corner, maybe up to a foot deep in some areas. So you think they'll be okay out there?
it sounds like you're doingeverything right! They will be fine :)

Since I don't let her eat grape leaves when she's lactating (sometimes makes the milk taste off-flavored), she sure goes at it when she's pregnant and I let her!
wee.gif

So I want goats and I'm wondering what breed to get I want something smaller because I only live on an acre but I also want milk so a nice milking one would be good. I also live n Minnesota so a good hardy breed would be nice too.

I also want to know where to buy, I live in the Anoka County area in Minnesota.

I also want to know because I only want two goats if I could get two females and then go through the trouble to get them breed or if I should just get a male and a female.
Thank you so much for any reply!

Here is a photo of my Nigerien Dwarf doe, It is a small dairy breed that weighs from about 40-70 lbs ( but can vary greatly). She gave about a third of a gallon a day. So, a little more then a couple gallons a week. This individual has cashmere, but she gets tons more in the winter, so she can handle very bitter winters, but then sheds almost all of it in summer, so she can handle the heat well. Now I'm not sure if this is typical of this breed, so I'm not saying you should get this type 100 percent all the way lol. but if it is, it may be a breed too consider. This breed also has TWO breeding seasons, which is rare for goats, (most only have one) it's the Spring and Summer. So if you miss one breeding season you just wait for the second instead of having too wait for a year.

As far as owning your own breeding buck, as a first time goat owner, this may not be such a good idea. Bucks acquire a rather harsh and potent stink, (I don't mind it, but most people do lol) they posses it because of a couple of stink glands either in front, or behind there horns, (I'm not sure lol.) too attract does, The stench travels far, and the neighbors might also not be big fans of stinking goats. In rut, They are very hard on there fences, (since there so strong) and they must be built soundly. Also when a doe is lactating the stench of the buck from the other pen can actually taint the taste and smell of the doe's milk. I could go on and on, but you must also notice that in having one male and one female, you have too feed both, but your only getting milk from one. I suggest getting two doe's and getting them bred at a different farm. Since I live in NJ I don't know any Nigerian Dwarf breeders where you live so I couldn't point you too one. : (
I hope this helped just a little, and good luck on this exciting venture!

P.S. Another small dairy breed is the mini Nubian, but I don't know much about them and they might not do well in the cold.

Here is a photo of my Nigerien Dwarf doe, It is a small dairy breed that weighs from about 40-70 lbs ( but can vary greatly). She gave about a third of a gallon a day. So, a little more then a couple gallons a week. This individual has cashmere, but she gets tons more in the winter, so she can handle very bitter winters, but then sheds almost all of it in summer, so she can handle the heat well. Now I'm not sure if this is typical of this breed, so I'm not saying you should get this type 100 percent all the way lol. but if it is, it may be a breed too consider. This breed also has TWO breeding seasons, which is rare for goats, (most only have one) it's the Spring and Summer. So if you miss one breeding season you just wait for the second instead of having too wait for a year. As far as owning your own breeding buck, as a first time goat owner, this may not be such a good idea. Bucks acquire a rather harsh and potent stink, (I don't mind it, but most people do lol) they posses it because of a couple of stink glands either in front, or behind there horns, (I'm not sure lol.) too attract does, The stench travels far, and the neighbors might also not be big fans of stinking goats. In rut, They are very hard on there fences, (since there so strong) and they must be built soundly. Also when a doe is lactating the stench of the buck from the other pen can actually taint the taste and smell of the doe's milk. I could go on and on, but you must also notice that in having one male and one female, you have too feed both, but your only getting milk from one. I suggest getting two doe's and getting them bred at a different farm. Since I live in NJ I don't know any Nigerian Dwarf breeders where you live so I couldn't point you too one. : ( I hope this helped just a little, and good luck on this exciting venture! P.S. Another small dairy breed is the mini Nubian, but I don't know much about them and they might not do well in the cold.
I also live in NJ with two Nigerian dwarf does :) they are my pick for a small dairy breed but I only got them in September and I'm looking to breed them now! Is this a good time to breed? My girls have been coming into heat every 18 days. I think I have a buck picked out but could you suggest ND breeders in north jersey? I'm getting my girls tested tomorrow for CAE and CL and then I want to breed for a sunmer kidding

Back
Top Bottom