Lets talk about goats!

I have a question about a 6 week old baby Nubian that I just picked up last weekend. I went out and got all the stuff that I needed to bottle feed... the Pritchard kid nipples, whole milk, buttermilk, evaporated milk (to make the concoction), and a probiotic for little man’s tummy. I knew feeding him was going to be a challenge, as he’s been with momma since birth. In 2 days I had only managed to get a total of 10 ounces into him. The guy we got him from suggested a small amount of sweet grain. And he was already used to nibbling on peanut hay, so we knew he’d munch on what we provided. Because I cannot get him to drink any milk, I give him a daily dose of probiotic, and he’s getting used to the sweet grain twice a day. My question... is this ok for him?

He seems to be doing fine. He had a little diarrhea for a day, but his poops went back to normal the next. I don’t see any signs of bloating. He is drinking water, but not very often. At least I don’t see him drink often. But he isn’t very playful or active. He doesn’t have any other kids to play with. Only an buck that is just over a year old and a 6 month old female. And both of them are pretty dominant over him.

This is him tonight... it’s getting down to the low 30’s tonight and don’t want to take the chance of the other 2 not letting him snuggle. Does he look ok? Does he look content? I worry.

Attachments

• 5CF0166A-32A1-4757-B18E-F7AB3D14B59B.jpeg
    5CF0166A-32A1-4757-B18E-F7AB3D14B59B.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 6
Well duh...I missed that...my sincere apologies to you Peep..not something I usually do. Thanks Al!
Yep needs more fluids... I have added cherry or strawberry koolaid pakets to their water to encourage drinking. Not my favorite mind you but tend to work for me. Just enough so you can smell the fruit scent.
And you can sprinkle goat milk replacer on his grain for added nutrition. Just a few tablespoons.
because he said the kid wasn't bouncy and lively, and that he hadn't seen much fluid intake. :confused:

I would worry a bit.

Can you get him to eat and drink a bit more? Maybe mix milk and liquid with the feed?
I did mix the milk with the sweet grain for a couple of days last week. That’s when I noticed the diarrhea, so I took the milk out. And maybe “not very active” was a wrong choice of words. He’s active, just not very playful.

Back
Top Bottom