Lets talk about goats!

Pics
My first instinct would be to whack her sharply across the nose, but that isn't a good idea. She will just think you are butting her back. A better suggestion is to take a spray bottle with you and squirt her in the face when she tries butting you. Goats hate getting wet.

My first instinct would be to whack her sharply across the nose, but that isn't a good idea. She will just think you are butting her back. A better suggestion is to take a spray bottle with you and squirt her in the face when she tries butting you. Goats hate getting wet.
That's how I stopped my young goat from headbutting. Sometimes she would ignore the water though, so I gave her nose a sharp tweak. Didn't hurt her, but she definitely didn't like how it felt.

This is not intended to be offensive, as this is merely my own preference, but this is just something I have discovered throughout the years that I have raised goats. When a goat has been left horned, they know they have horns and it seems to change their behavior. They'll use their horns against people, and especially against other goats.

I have an old ewe sheep (approaching 10 years old) who has numerous scars courtesy of our goat buck who was never dehorned.

I strongly recommend dehorning all young goats. But, as I said, this is my personal preference.

I sold my ND yesterday :( but I did it for a reason, we are going Nubian! I have my 2 doelings, today I'm off to by a buckling. Here's his pic

Back
Top Bottom