Lets talk about goats!

Pics
How do I measure growth on my young kids? My babies don't look any bigger to me then the day we brought them home. Are alpine slow growers?

I weigh my kids on a regular basis. Before I had a large dog scale, I used to hop in a human scale and weigh myself. Then I'd jump on with a goat in my arms, and subtract just my weight for the kid's weight. But most human scales, even digital ones, aren't as sensitive as I'd like. Now I just put them on the dog scale.

Alpines aren't known for being slow growers, no. How old are they (sorry if you mentioned it in a previous post)? Have you used any sort of coccidia preventative on them? Coccidiosis starts being a problem with kids once they are three weeks old. Kids have weaker immune systems than adults, so until they are six months old, most people keep them on a preventative. How and what are they eating? Are they given any mineral, and if so, what?

Edit: just did a search of your posts. Do they still have loose stools?

I weigh my kids on a regular basis. Before I had a large dog scale, I used to hop in a human scale and weigh myself. Then I'd jump on with a goat in my arms, and subtract just my weight for the kid's weight. But most human scales, even digital ones, aren't as sensitive as I'd like. Now I just put them on the dog scale.

Alpines aren't known for being slow growers, no. How old are they (sorry if you mentioned it in a previous post)? Have you used any sort of coccidia preventative on them? Coccidiosis starts being a problem with kids once they are three weeks old. Kids have weaker immune systems than adults, so until they are six months old, most people keep them on a preventative. How and what are they eating? Are they given any mineral, and if so, what?

Edit: just did a search of your posts. Do they still have loose stools?
Just game them their first cbt vaccine. The alpines are still getting milk. Alfalfa hay for everyone. Nubian still has loose stool. I do have loose minerals, but not getting any. Are currently housed with chickens so they are getting to chicken feed. Is weight the only way to measure growth? They are putting on weight.

Just game them their first cbt vaccine. The alpines are still getting milk. Alfalfa hay for everyone. Nubian still has loose stool. I do have loose minerals, but not getting any. Are currently housed with chickens so they are getting to chicken feed. Is weight the only way to measure growth? They are putting on weight.
You need to find or make a different housing setup for them as soon as possible (and when I say ASAP, I mean it). It is not good for them to be getting into chicken feed or be housed with chickens who will soil the goat feed or water. You should also familiarize yourself with a condition called bloat, which is a life threatening problem that could be caused by their eating of chicken feed.

Are they not getting any mineral because they are not eating it? How is it being offered? Is the mineral getting soiled by the chickens?

CDT vaccine is good! Remember to give them their booster shot in three weeks. It is still different than giving them a coccidia preventative and/or treatment, coccidia would cause slow weight gain/failure to thrive if kids have a high enough load. Like I said, it is such a problem/killer of kids that it is truly recommended to put them on a preventive schedule. Note that deworming does not take care of an infection of cocci.

Have you taken the Nubian to a veterinarian, or at least consulted with a veterinarian? Catching a stool sample from just the Nubian would be highly recommended too, so the vet can check for worm load, blood (occult blood is not visible), cocci load, etc.
Weight is the best indicator of growth, hands down.

Yes, exactly what Stacykins just said! She is giving you amazing advise!

OFF the chicken feed, ON cocci prevention/test for cocci.

Back
Top Bottom