Lets talk about goats!

hi all, im going tomorrow morning to pick up my 1st goat, just a freebie off my local kijiji...  hes a 6 month old saaneen/alpine cross.  most of what i have read, says not to start with a billy but, he's free so figure he's a good start lol  am i biting off more than i can chew?  my main goal with him, his to put him in with the horses to clean up the weeds and brush that they dont eat...  hoping he will respect the electric like them, nervouse though, as he may have enough space to get between the lines, if he runs  at them...  if all goes well i may look for a couple does and try breeding them...

how old does a billy need to be, in order to breed?

Your billy can start breeding now:) Goats are able to make babies just a few months after birth, that is why it is so important to whether bucklings or separate the doelings from them.
Good Luck with your newest family member! And post some pics!!
1f604.png
1f410.png

Fishy steve, you're not just getting one are you? You can't keep just one, they are highly sociable animals. If you do keep one it will be an awful experience for you and the goat.

Fishy steve, you're not just getting one are you? You can't keep just one, they are highly sociable animals. If you do keep one it will be an awful experience for you and the goat.

In his post he mentions that he has horses. Goats are social and need other herd animals to socialize with. Horses fit the bill as do many other livestock.
smile.png

In his post he mentions that he has horses. Goats are social and need other herd animals to socialize with. Horses fit the bill as do many other livestock. :)

Oh ok, I didn't read that. Just making sure. My goats cry even being separated for 30 seconds!

Hi
I am a new goat mom and started with a 4 yr old nanny and her 5 month old daughter. They seemed lonely so I got 2 6 month old whethers. Problem immediately! Mom, Lucy, hates them and is mean to them. Keeps butting and chasing them under the sleep rack or out of the stall. Winters in Wisconsin get bad. I really like the young ones, but Lucy is not people friendly. Should I get rid of her or the poor boys? Will it get better? They are pygmy and horned. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dawn

Hi
I am a new goat mom and started with a 4 yr old nanny and her 5 month old daughter. They seemed lonely so I got 2 6 month old whethers. Problem immediately! Mom, Lucy, hates them and is mean to them. Keeps butting and chasing them under the sleep rack or out of the stall. Winters in Wisconsin get bad. I really like the young ones, but Lucy is not people friendly. Should I get rid of her or the poor boys? Will it get better? They are pygmy and horned. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dawn
This is normal when you get new goats. They need to establish who is the top goat. You need to be sure the boys can eat and they are not being injured. Things should settle down as time goes on. If it were me I would give them a month to settle in and see if things settle down. Good luck!!!

I have a goat question.
I've read that goats need 20-30sq ft of barn space per animal. Is this true for dwarf goats as well?
I have a 10x10 shed for 4 adult doe. Due to some unanticipated events, we will be up to 6 adult dwarf doe. The only thing in the barn besides the goats/bedding is a hay feeder, and water. The feeder does not take up much floor space as it is raised. They also have about 1/2 acre of pasture. Do I need another shed to accommodate the added number of goats? Or do you think this will work for now? The living arrangements will be different in spring. Their new barn will be ready then.
Thanks for any advice :)

Back
Top Bottom