Lets talk about goats!

I have a goat question.
I've read that goats need 20-30sq ft of barn space per animal. Is this true for dwarf goats as well?
I have a 10x10 shed for 4 adult doe. Due to some unanticipated events, we will be up to 6 adult dwarf doe. The only thing in the barn besides the goats/bedding is a hay feeder, and water. The feeder does not take up much floor space as it is raised. They also have about 1/2 acre of pasture. Do I need another shed to accommodate the added number of goats? Or do you think this will work for now? The living arrangements will be different in spring. Their new barn will be ready then.
Thanks for any advice :)

I would put a table or shelf in so they will have a place to get up out of the way or hide underneath, otherwise it should be okay temporarily.
smile.png

Thank you SA farm!
I will try that and see how adding a table goes!
Here is my situation:
We got doelings but we didnt intend to breed them until later. Just recently my child with special needs has been started on raw goat milk, and benefits greatly from it! I don't have access to raw goat milk where I'm located. This leaves me one logical answer, get a milking goat. I found a beautiful first freshener. She is a nice goat with a lovely personality. Unfortunately my doelings bullied her terrible to the point where she lost weight, and dropped her milk supply. So the farm where I got her from said that she needs another goat that is milking to keep her company.
So now I have 6 doe (2 in milk) at my house but the set up is not ideal at the moment. We are working on it though. My other option is to keep them in my garage. I have a large 2 stall garage that I could use temporarily. I can just park my car in the driveway until spring.

I got 2 goats at first, a mom and her son, Jill and Bam Bam who is wethered. They are pygmy and so friendly. We had just bought a house on 5 acres in Florida that was over run with vines and blackberry bushes. I got them at the suggestion of a friend, to help clear the vines, not realizing how much I would enjoy them. I went back and got Bam Bams cousin Jack who is intact. He was very shy and now he comes up to me to be petted. After that I got two sisters who are Nigerians, Joyce and Cinnamon. The person I got them from didn't have any luck breeding them but she didn't have a male, she just borrowed one. I just got another male, another Nigerian so I'm hoping for babies. I've not found it difficult. They have a pen that was thick with vines that is nicely trimmed. They come when I call them and when I'm outside working they are never far from me. I have feed I give them once a day, about 1/2 a cup and an organic wormer, both purchased from Rural King. I don't fertilize or put any chemicals on the fields. They eat the grass and seed and poop it out and have seeded their pen. The goats graze a lot and they are so much healthier than when I got them because they are doing what they were meant to do. I found a couple of little tykes playgrounds for $5 and $10 and love to climb and play. I make sure they have clean water and a place to get out of the rain. My husband and I made a couple of little huts out of pallets and metalroofing because the Nigerian Joyce is bossy and will only let her sister and a male in the barn. I want to raise bottle babies for people who want friendly goats to now and fertize. Its very Eco friendly, you just have to fence off your ornamentals. I'll post some pictures once I figure out how to on this site.

Last edited:
I got 2 goats at first, a mom and her son, Jill and Bam Bam who is wethered. They are pygmy and so friendly. We had just bought a house on 5 acres in Florida that was over run with vines and blackberry bushes. I got them at the suggestion of a friend, to help clear the vines, not realizing how much I would enjoy them. I went back and got Bam Bams cousin Jack who is intact. He was very shy and now he comes up to me to be petted. After that I got two sisters who are Nigerians, Joyce and Cinnamon. The person I got them from didn't have any luck breeding them but she didn't have a male, she just borrowed one. I just got another male, another Nigerian so I'm hoping for babies. I've not found it difficult. They have a pen that was thick with vines that is nicely trimmed. They come when I call them and when I'm outside working they are never far from me. I have feed I give them once a day, about 1/2 a cup and an organic wormer, both purchased from Rural King. I don't fertilize or put any chemicals on the fields. They eat the grass and seed and poop it out and have seeded their pen. The goats graze a lot and they are so much healthier than when I got them because they are doing what they were meant to do. I found a couple of little tykes playgrounds for $5 and $10 and love to climb and play. I make sure they have clean water and a place to get out of the rain. My husband and I made a couple of little huts out of pallets and metalroofing because the Nigerian Joyce is bossy and will only let her sister and a male in the barn. I want to raise bottle babies for people who want friendly goats to now and fertize. Its very Eco friendly, you just have to fence off your ornamentals. I'll post some pictures once I figure out how to on this site.

They sound amazing! Do you have any pics?

I have my garage set up now for the goats! Its much larger, and they are getting along much better now.
Ringolta, I love the pictures!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom