Lets talk about goats!

Incorrect that Nigerian Dwarves have shorter gestation periods because they have more, but smaller kids. Even Nigerian Dwarves who kid only one or two kids tend to kid closer to day 145. Same with pygmies.

Okay, you sure could be right! I have ND's but they've usually given me trips & quads and kid on Day 140- something. : ) Course, I did have a doe kid twins one time on Day 141!! Yep, I think you've got a point. ;)

Incorrect that Nigerian Dwarves have shorter gestation periods because they have more, but smaller kids. Even Nigerian Dwarves who kid only one or two kids tend to kid closer to day 145. Same with pygmies.

Okay, you sure could be right!  I have ND's but they've usually given me trips & quads and kid on Day 140- something. : ) Course, I did have a doe kid twins one time on Day 141!! Yep, I think you've got a point. ;)

According to my wife they are pregnant for approximately 927 days.... Or at least that's how it seems to her when she's waiting on them to give birth... LOL!

I just found this thread, and I look forward to reading and seeing all the goaty cuteness.. Hubby dragged home two pygmies last September cause their owner couldn't take them escaping anymore. So I threw together a house and pen out of skids and scrap wood, expecting to end up paying a fortune to buy more and better fence. They only escaped once, and that was the day I forgot to latch the gate lol. So I fell in love with goats and in the past several months got two alpine does and a pair of mini saanen kids.

I do have a question, and it is about teaching manners. The mini doeling came from people who thought it was adorable to have baby goats climbing all over them. I, however, find it painful and annoying that there is a goat on my back every time I bend down to pick up something. She will get to be about 100 pounds, and it hurts now and she's only 25 pounds. How do I stop this??

I just found this thread, and I look forward to reading and seeing all the goaty cuteness.. Hubby dragged home two pygmies last September cause their owner couldn't take them escaping anymore. So I threw together a house and pen out of skids and scrap wood, expecting to end up paying a fortune to buy more and better fence. They only escaped once, and that was the day I forgot to latch the gate lol. So I fell in love with goats and in the past several months got two alpine does and a pair of mini saanen kids.

I do have a question, and it is about teaching manners. The mini doeling came from people who thought it was adorable to have baby goats climbing all over them. I, however, find it painful and annoying that there is a goat on my back every time I bend down to pick up something. She will get to be about 100 pounds, and it hurts now and she's only 25 pounds. How do I stop this??

I am not a goat expert by any means, but when I got my 2 Nigerian does as babies 2 years ago they were only 8 and 10 weeks old. They jumped on my back every time I bent over just like you are saying. One time one of them did the same to my DH who bent over by the fence and she them hopped over the fence. Though cute, we weren't amused. I talk to them the same I would teaching a toddler child or even a puppy. Anytime they jumped on a back or even jumped up with front hooves to greet someone or retrieve feed or treats before they were handed to them, I would knock them to the ground stand up straight and say NO in a firm voice. I repeated this every time as did DH and our DDs. In no time they caught on and now they are quite behaved.

Im sure other people have different and maybe better techniques. Good Luck!

I am not a goat expert by any means, but when I got my 2 Nigerian does as babies 2 years ago they were only 8 and 10 weeks old. They jumped on my back every time I bent over just like you are saying. One time one of them did the same to my DH who bent over by the fence and she them hopped over the fence. Though cute, we weren't amused. I talk to them the same I would teaching a toddler child or even a puppy. Anytime they jumped on a back or even jumped up with front hooves to greet someone or retrieve feed or treats before they were handed to them, I would knock them to the ground stand up straight and say NO in a firm voice. I repeated this every time as did DH and our DDs. In no time they caught on and now they are quite behaved.

Im sure other people have different and maybe better techniques. Good Luck!

Yep. I use the words 'Down' and/or 'No' firmly while gently pushing them down. Do not pet them when they do it or say down/no in nice/soft voice. Once they get down, praise them, pet them, or give a treat, but petting usually is better. I especially like to train them with the Down command because at milking and feeding time, they all crowd around the gate and lean on it with their front hooves. They know I mean business and they won't get food/milked unless all hooves are on the ground so when I say down, they listen! It can take a few days to a week, but with consistency, they'll get it [plus, goats are pretty smart].

Hello,
I am new to this board though I have been trying to read from the beginning. I have yet to find the answer to my question/questions. I will continue to read because I am very interested in what everyone has to say about their goats =).

We are getting 2 milking La Mancha goats next week. I was told they would be happy browsing all summer and would only have to provide goat/calf minerals along with baking soda freely. Here is the problem: I know when they are milked they are usually fed a small amount of feed. I don't want the goats to become over weight so do I feed them the minerals at milking time or do I go ahead and feed them a goat ration? Hubby is building the milk stand this weekend and I should have the goats on Tuesday. I am looking forward to owning and caring for our goats. I'm sure I will make mistakes but if I could get off on the right foot it would be nice =) thank you for your assistance.

Who told you that? First of all, it would depend a lot on the quality of browse they have available. A lot of browse is low in protein. I would allow access to browse but I would also feed hay free choice. The better the browse the less hay they will eat. As for grain, any good dairy cow ration will do. Just be sure it does not contain urea. How much grain to feed depends on the condition of the goats and how much they are milking. The rule of thumb is about one pound of grain for every two pounds of milk. Go to caprinesupply.com and buy a book on care of goats. Or you could go to amazon.com. You ought to be able to find a book suitable for beginners at either place..

Hello,
I am new to this board though I have been trying to read from the beginning. I have yet to find the answer to my question/questions. I will continue to read because I am very interested in what everyone has to say about their goats =).

We are getting 2 milking La Mancha goats next week. I was told they would be happy browsing all summer and would only have to provide goat/calf minerals along with baking soda freely. Here is the problem: I know when they are milked they are usually fed a small amount of feed. I don't want the goats to become over weight so do I feed them the minerals at milking time or do I go ahead and feed them a goat ration? Hubby is building the milk stand this weekend and I should have the goats on Tuesday. I am looking forward to owning and caring for our goats. I'm sure I will make mistakes but if I could get off on the right foot it would be nice =) thank you for your assistance.

If they are milking they will need additional feeding. It takes a lot of calories to make milk. Not feeding them will either cause them to produce a great deal less milk and/or cause them to lose weight rapidly.

Hay should be made available. Wet, damp morning grass and browse will cause frothy bloat. So they need to at least get some hay in the morning while dew dries.

Back
Top Bottom