Lets talk about goats!

I have a boer goat that delivered her baby yesterday around 1 or 2 pm. She still has after birth hanging out of her. I have tied a wet rag to it and gave her a shot of oxytocin. Still nothing is changing. Any suggestions?

How is she doing now? If she still hasn't finished passing it getting an expert is best. Pulling is a big no-no when it comes to the after-birth.

I hope all goes well.

I have goats I love them but everyone says they eat poison ivy and plants you don't want on your property but they don't eat those kinds of plants!

If you get them from baby's they can be really sweet!!!!
smile.png

I have goats I love them but everyone says they eat poison ivy and plants you don't want on your property but they don't eat those kinds of plants!

it depends what kind of supplements, My does get a scoop of grain every day when they are pregnant/milking, and then the rest of the year they don't get any other things exept hay, They all get that year round, but not free choice, for my two they split a flake of hay a day, and that seems to be working for me, They Love black berry vines!

Hi I bought 2 goats from someone on Craigslist and boy did I get scammed. I wouldn't trade these little guys for anything, I have only had them a week, and love them like my own kids. I believe she was a "puppy mill" she had tons of animals running around in a dirty environment. I was happy to save these two, but I am having major issues with one of them, please help.

OK, first I think they were both taken away from the momma too early, not my choice! Please don't judge. The little guy (Bambino) is about 10 days old. I think he didnt get the colostrum from his mom. He is having issues, I took him to the vet the next day after "rescuing them". Bambino does not walk well, he limps and if you touch is back by is back legs he kind of falls down or seems like he hurts, he cracked and fell and couldnt get up by himself, he also shakes a lot then his poop was really runny like bad diarrhea, the vet gave him shots and medicine for me to give him sulfur for 10 days to help with that. It has, but its still yellow and wet. Is this normal for a baby? ALSO my major concern is that his back legs seem to hurt. When he walks it slow with kind of a limp. If you pet his back by his legs he pretty much falls over. Any ideas on what this is or what I can do for him? My other one (Pumpkin), she claimed he is 9 weeks old, no way, he is a little bigger than Bambino I think he is about 2 weeks old or so was on whole milk, but the vet said that was really bad so they are both on milk re-placer.

I guess my question(s) are:

Why does his back hurt? He does not crack anymore when helping him up and he gets up on his own now, but he still limps and jumps a bit when walking. Any ideas why? The vet said if he doesn't get better with in 3 days there is no hope, well its been 6 days and I see a lot of improvement so my hopes are high. I just worry for him

How much should they be eating-how often? I researched it and everywhere says something different. I am on a schedule where we feed them both by bottle every 3-4 hours. They have no interest in hay or grains or plain water. They currently live in our house in our mudroom and I have a space heater in there (its a little cold) but he still shakes a lot, Bambino, the other one Pumpkin is as happy as can be, he jumps and runs around and head butts the little one knocking him over at times.

I am really sorry for the long message, but I am a animal lover and I dont want anything to happen to my new babies. Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Please no haters or mean comments. I am doing the best I can.

Thanks so much for reading and any suggestions/comments.

Jen

I am not familiar with poison ivy, but my goats LOVED poison oak. Some people say that if you goats eat poison oak and you drink the milk you won't get poison oak.

Hi I bought 2 goats from someone on Craigslist and boy did I get scammed. I wouldn't trade these little guys for anything, I have only had them a week, and love them like my own kids. I believe she was a "puppy mill" she had tons of animals running around in a dirty environment. I was happy to save these two, but I am having major issues with one of them, please help.

OK, first I think they were both taken away from the momma too early, not my choice! Please don't judge. The little guy (Bambino) is about 10 days old. I think he didnt get the colostrum from his mom. He is having issues, I took him to the vet the next day after "rescuing them". Bambino does not walk well, he limps and if you touch is back by is back legs he kind of falls down or seems like he hurts, he cracked and fell and couldnt get up by himself, he also shakes a lot then his poop was really runny like bad diarrhea, the vet gave him shots and medicine for me to give him sulfur for 10 days to help with that. It has, but its still yellow and wet. Is this normal for a baby? ALSO my major concern is that his back legs seem to hurt. When he walks it slow with kind of a limp. If you pet his back by his legs he pretty much falls over. Any ideas on what this is or what I can do for him? My other one (Pumpkin), she claimed he is 9 weeks old, no way, he is a little bigger than Bambino I think he is about 2 weeks old or so was on whole milk, but the vet said that was really bad so they are both on milk re-placer.

I guess my question(s) are:

Why does his back hurt? He does not crack anymore when helping him up and he gets up on his own now, but he still limps and jumps a bit when walking. Any ideas why? The vet said if he doesn't get better with in 3 days there is no hope, well its been 6 days and I see a lot of improvement so my hopes are high. I just worry for him

How much should they be eating-how often? I researched it and everywhere says something different. I am on a schedule where we feed them both by bottle every 3-4 hours. They have no interest in hay or grains or plain water. They currently live in our house in our mudroom and I have a space heater in there (its a little cold) but he still shakes a lot, Bambino, the other one Pumpkin is as happy as can be, he jumps and runs around and head butts the little one knocking him over at times.

I am really sorry for the long message, but I am a animal lover and I dont want anything to happen to my new babies. Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Please no haters or mean comments. I am doing the best I can.

Thanks so much for reading and any suggestions/comments.

Jen

Oh, the poor little things. They're lucky to have someone who cares for them as much as you do.
smile.png

Did the vet do any tests? Stiff walking or injured legs can be from infection, virus, injury, nutritional deficiencies and so much more, so it can't just be guessed. Getting him on antibiotics would be best, but try to find a vet who can prescribe the proper dosage and type. Keep him warm and comfortable, keep feeding them replacer. It can be really hard if they don't the colostrum they need, but there is some great advice out there on how to boost their immune system the best they can.

If they are only 10 days old they don't need be on hay or grain, but you can continue introducing it as a treat, just to help them switch over in their own time. Right now milk will be helping them the most though.

Keep a watch on the goats droppings, activity, breathing, and body temperature (you don't want a fever or hypothermia). I'm no expert on goat health, so I hope this link can help: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/healthproblemsKids06.html

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom