Lets talk about goats!

All you goat folk....

My 2 goat boys (wethers) have been on browse and hay all summer. I got them as brush boys for the undergrowth of the woods and they are doing great at it.

Now, coming into fall, there is not as much browse available for them and I can see that it appears that they may be losing some weight.

In their prior life they were feed browse and hay only. These boys are 5 yo.

I've just started putting out more hay so that it's always available free-feed. Is there anything else you'd recommend to help put some weight on before winter? These guys haven't been fed anything but browse and hay their entire lives.

Perhaps I should have a fecal done.

Leahs mom. If you haven't wormed them lately I'd do that. It's good to worm any animal anywhere at least twice a year chickens included. I do my horses at the start of all 4 seasons. Is there a mineral block out with them? That is also a good thing to have for all animals. They have several supplement lick blocks so you don't have to feed. You could get a little goat specific tub which doesn't cost much more than the bucket if you were buying just the bucket and they have the larger 50lb tubs for all species.

It wouldn't hurt to throw out a salt block. I'd encourage it if you think they are lacking something and are to thin or anything else that makes you not like the way they look. It's pretty cheap considering how long a block last them. If they were on the up and up with just the mineral I wouldn't worry but in your case it cant hurt them.

Hello
I have a 5 month old goat who won't stop crying, any suggestions?

It wouldn't surprise me if they were doing that, goat people can be extremely competitive; even at small, little open class shows.
I went to a different sale Saturday and bought a very nice Boer buck. He is young and stocky. He is solid brown. I paid 97.50 for him. I think it was a steal.

Back
Top Bottom