Lets talk about our current broodies :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally have a flat one on a baker's dozen.
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

I have recently tried my hand at raising a baby chick...not thrilled with it, mostly because of the hours I work. I think I want a broody!
I have B.R, B.O., & B.A.; is there a certain age or time of year hens go broody? I am waiting for any of mine to start sitting...

Aloha everyone!!

my broody Ginger II just hatched 8 babies so far out of 13. happyhens44 - can you believe we got 8 so far!!
big_smile.png
( i havent had a minute to PM you or upload pics - i got a few early today with only 2 tiny beaks sticking out!! ) 2 eggs under her pipped and half way broke out of the shell, but then died
sad.png
i saw them earlier today when she left the nest for a minute, but was unable to take them out at the time! there are 3 eggs left that we are waiting on still - mom has been on the nest for the rest of the day and wont let me see under her. i left the top of her coop open so i could get in there, and when i went to close it up tonight the 2 dead chicks where starting to smell
barnie.gif
should i try to take them out tonight or wait until the daytime when she takes the chicks out for their first meal?? i want to change her nest anyway because she is in a big storage tub and the sides are a little to high for the chicks to get in and out of easily. when is the best time to take out the tub?/ i was thinking about tipping it up on its side so she still feels like she is in her nest, but the side will be the bottom so the chicks will be able to go in and out easily?? any tips greatly appreciated!!
jumpy.gif

other than this we have 8 healthy chicks that hatched in the last 28 hours!!
celebrate.gif

here is a photo from her first day on the eggs, just to get an idea of what im sayin- i built a little ramp on the outside and inside the tub with hay for the chicks to climb up today, but so far they have not left the tub- also since the photo she has been moved to her own coop and the tub is on the grass now. should i put the nest hay on the grass when she takes the ckicks out to eat? or tip the tub?
lol.png

71606_p1090319.jpg

mahalo
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
OH! thats so exciting!!!!! wow 8!!! good hatch rate so far. Id try to get the chicks out of there as soo as possible. Photos
smile.png
!!!!!! haha

I can't believe I didn't see this post before today! Here is a pic of my broody EE named "Popcorn" who is currently setting on 12(mixed breed) eggs
celebrate.gif

75928_broody_hen.jpg

Edited to add: Today marks day 8 for her clutch of eggs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom