Lets talk about our current broodies :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got my first broody of the year and to be honest I thought it would have been one of the other experienced mothers. This is this australorps first time at being a mama. I had noticed her "thinking" about going broody for about a week and a half before she ultimately committed to it...now she's in confinement on day 6 of her brood in my garage. Here she is sitting on 6 eggs that I will candle tomorrow....

DSC08393.jpg

I decided not to candle them, I will just wait it out. If any hatch out I will post pics. I will start the intense chick watch starting Feb. 3rd, though not expecting to see any until around the 6th.

Quote:
I decided ONE time that I wasn't going to candle and it just so happened that none of those eggs were developing. Of course I didn't know it and my poor Wookie girl sat for 23 days...and still no babies. So I candled them just to see and they were all bad. I gave her more eggs to sit on and 21 days later she hatched out her babies. I learned from that moment on that I would always candle the eggs on day 7 at least. That hen sat for 45 days total... I was pretty sure she would set the extra 21 days cuz she'd hatched out before. She knew the routine....scrambled eggs and vitamin water every day plus a 5-10 minute off the nest potty break. It was still a nail biting experience though.

Quote:
I decided ONE time that I wasn't going to candle and it just so happened that none of those eggs were developing. Of course I didn't know it and my poor Wookie girl sat for 23 days...and still no babies. So I candled them just to see and they were all bad. I gave her more eggs to sit on and 21 days later she hatched out her babies. I learned from that moment on that I would always candle the eggs on day 7 at least. That hen sat for 45 days total... I was pretty sure she would set the extra 21 days cuz she'd hatched out before. She knew the routine....scrambled eggs and vitamin water every day plus a 5-10 minute off the nest potty break. It was still a nail biting experience though.

If none of the eggs under her or the other hens have hatched out by the time the eggs in my bator do, I will do a ninja switch(remove the duds with one hand insert newly hatched chicks with the other)
wink.png
big_smile.png
She will never know.....

Quote:

If none of the eggs under her or the other hens have hatched out by the time the eggs in my bator do, I will do a ninja switch(remove the duds with one hand insert newly hatched chicks with the other)
wink.png
big_smile.png
She will never know.....

lol.png
I could see you doing that! hahaha

Back
Top Bottom