Lets talk about our current broodies :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it's offical I have eggs under my broodies as of yesterday! Sadly Honey quit brooding but I still have BB and Pepper going strong

Pepper: 13 Serama eggs

BB: 12 Serama eggs

Lots of fuzzy butts if they all hatch
th.gif

AC

I made Flash a scrambled egg breakfast today...I was surprised she actually ate it...ravenously! Poor thing is so dedicated to her eggs she is starving herself
sad.png

I have a couple of broody hens I'd like to try sitting on some fertile eggs for me. How many eggs can I place under each one? Also, I thought I'd put a couple of duck eggs in first, and then a week later add the other hens' eggs. Good or bad idea?

Went out yesterday evening to put the eggs that arrived in the mail under my broody hen. Candled her collection of eggs that were clear after what I thought was a week (why I ordered eggs for her) and four of them had chicks in them!!!! One was clear and the other look like a murky mess. I left both under her for now. I'll check them again before we mover her to her "lockdown" spot away from the others. So, it was back to the house and dig out an incubator!

Man, I really want another broody!

Today, it started getting warm, so I let the chickens out and set them all on an old ladder outside to perch on. Simone and Pip actually sat next to eachother without Simone biting Pip and Pip screaming (in chicken language), "Daddy, save me!"

Good Simone!

thumbsup.gif
Low and behold day 18 my count and I have two chicks. Hatched under plain old brown OEG broody a mixed bag of nine eggs. Not a very good hatch rate two live and one dead out of the shell. But she had gotten off the nest and it was very stinky. I figured mother knows best. Dad is an EE roo-mostly white-some red-quiet, minds his own business, has NEVER crowed Chicks are reddish and at least one has puffy cheeks. No feathered legs, which Dad has, so guess that rules out the brahma hens and the cochin as mom. Now that the chicks have hatched Mom has become a proverbial rabid dog! I seperated her from the other hens and covered most of the crate with a horse blanket to allow her to quiet down. She was so vigorous in her scratching to show the chicks how to eat she sent one sprawling. I thought better to let them have some calm and quiet to settle. Don't want her to kill them trying to protect them! My cochin hen was a much gentler first time momma. This one is a little to...vigorous. We will give her lots of quiet time with her teeny brood. Try to keep them safe from overzealous mothering. Not sure there is anything I can do to improve hatching rate...under a broody? Pretty much let nature take care of everything.....

I have a broody Asil Pullet sitting on Oprington eggs. Hopefully, she stays broody to hatch these eggs.

I have a broody BEI duck sitting on her own and call duck eggs. I'm not sure if any are fertile though..... but she is so intent on tending her little nest that I can't bring myself to disturb her.

Back
Top Bottom