Lets talk CHICKS

AMANDA...you've started a nice little thread here. I've seen some pretty good suggestions, one very important one being, wash hands after handling chicks and chickens. My hands are always so dry when I am hatching chicks. Taking them out of the bator, putting them into the brooder. I love chickens..got that from my grandmother years ago. Happy memories collecting those eggs for her, and watching a mama hen and her babies.

@subhanalah - THANK YOU!!
1f618.png

@Cynthia - thanks! It's nice to hear the thread I've started is useful to others.

aww.cute boys. Have them wash their hands before handling the chicks if you are worried about it, the of course wash after they handle them. It really shouldn't hurt the chicks at all. I wash a lot while incubating eggs..have to before I turn eggs. Once they are hatched and a day or two old, I don't worry about washing before I hold them, just after. :)

Looks like you have some barred rock? I have two barred rock going into lock down..in my bator tomorrow. Only a few more days and hopefully I will have a couple of chicks. Can't count them before they are hatched though.
wink.png
Very true!

Oh, I will take that little puffy faced one..is that an Easter Egger? Can't quite tell by the photo..a Favorelle? If is to lay a blue egg, the hatchery would be calling it an Ameraucana..but they are really Easter Eggers. :)

Our brooder is done! The chicks are 2 weeks old this weekend and we'll transition them then. They will live in the basement now until late April-early May.

Back
Top Bottom