Lets talk CHICKS

aart - thank you!! That's new info that I can use as I plan my brooder. Going to incorporate it for sure. I'll plan on all 15 chicks so I'll build it 30 square feet. ?

Sketched my brooder for our chicks as they grow and need space. It will be kept in our basement near the French doors. In April/May, we'll build them an enclosure for them to enjoy outside the doors. I hope to start it tonight!

Q: at what age can you give them crushed oyster shells/grit?

I really do not offer them oyster shells till they start to lay egg's
as it is really to help make the shell's hard .....

Would like to see a photo of your brooder when you are finished ....

As for bedding- I used pine shavings from the very first day. No attempts to try to eat that stuff from my babies. I have an Ecoglow, so the babies spent most of their time under it their first couple days. I put a puppy training pad under it and changed it a couple times a day just so they weren't standing in poop. I don't do that anymore cause they don't spend that much time under the heater (mine are 2.5 weeks as I type.) I have a 4 year old and I let her hold them the first day. I mean, how could I not?! My chicks are not super friendly, I don't have a whole bunch of time to handle them.
Oh- and their favorite treat in grass pulled up from the yard! They eat the dirt, roots, and everything.

Above is a pic of the day they came home. I got some GrowGel- they didn't have any interest in that stuff at all.
And here is a pic of my daughter holding one on Day 1. Just cause it is cute. We didn't wash our hands or anything- I guess looking back that's kinda gross. I have bigger things to worry about than chick germs!

gander007 - I'll be sure to post pics throughout my building process :) And, thanks for the shell tip. That makes sense!

Secretlyspotted - I literally squealed at those tiny day old fuzzies!! They are adorable! And that picture is so sweet of your daughter! I have 3 kids myself, aged 14, 4 and 2. And, the younger two are boys and I can only imagine how germy they already are!! ha ha :D
I'm glad you've had good luck with the pine shavings. I will be using them, too. Heard they help curtail the smell.

NEW QUESTIONS: I know real young chicks huddle up together to sleep and stay warm, but does that style of sleep last? If not, where and how do they sleep during their juvenile years? I am asking because I am undecided if I should build a large nest box for them all to sleep in. Will that confuse them with laying? Do they sleep where they lay??

Thank you! Gracias! Merci!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

They will start trying to roost around 2 weeks old. You can provide perches for them or they can sleep in their shavings. Mine see a blue towel as their nest now and won't sleep on the shavings alone...what have I done? Lol My Cheeky also thinks it's where she needs to have a dust bath. Silly chick!

What is commonly used to create a perch? A dowel? I'll include a few in my big brooder. Do they even need a dark enclosed space, like a 3-walled nest box, or is that unnecessary at the age before laying?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on leg bands? Ill have 15, 7 of which will be orpingtons, so I want to be able to tell them apart. :)

Back
Top Bottom