Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Here are the latest pictures of the hatch mates of my big boy. The cuckoo pullet is perhaps the shyest chicken I have and difficult to photograph. The one with all the gold is pretty and she is happy in the laying pen where nobody bosses her around!

Here are the latest pictures of the hatch mates of my big boy. The cuckoo pullet is perhaps the shyest chicken I have and difficult to photograph. The one with all the gold is pretty and she is happy in the laying pen where nobody bosses her around!
@Chooks man What are your thoughts on the second one? What a strange hidden recessive color.

Last edited:
@Chooks man
What are your thoughts on the second one? What a strange hidden recessive color.

the second one is carrying the patterning genes ( lacing genes plus other stuff too )

she is a good subject to recreate the Partridge variety or the Creonee.the French Marans Club is trying to find breeders to recreate this lost variety .they come is silver too

she is not a golden cuckoo for sure bye she is gorgeous

chooks man

the second one is carrying the patterning genes ( lacing genes plus other stuff too )

she is a good subject to recreate the Partridge variety or the Creonee.the French Marans Club is trying to find breeders to recreate this lost variety .they come is silver too

she is not a golden cuckoo for sure bye she is gorgeous

chooks man
@morbius18
How exciting!
I would gladly give her back to you if you want a new project! I am pretty good with my BBS breeds, but breeding partridge is probably out of my depth. It seems a shame for her to spend her life in the layer pen if she could be the foundation for bring back an old breed.

@morbius18

How exciting!
I would gladly give her back to you if you want a new project! I am pretty good with my BBS breeds, but breeding partridge is probably out of my depth. It seems a shame for her to spend her life in the layer pen if she could be the foundation for bring back an old breed.

Ive got a few too many projects going on to take on another one, lol. I'm going to see if any more males pop up looking like that, then maybe.

This move set me back, our weiner dog killed a few, so we fenced in the yard. Then some young ones squeezed through the fence and he killed them, then we put chicken wire on the bottom. Then some flew over, he killed one. Then they got too big to fly over a 4 foot fence. Then a hawk killed a hen, so I penned them in with 3 foot poultry netting. We were late getting home one night and a raccoon or opossum drug my light double barred rooster out of the coop and killed him. I put up 4 foot field wire around them with a strand of electric at the top. It dug under. Then I put 2 foot wire in an L shape on the ground with 1 foot on the ground staked and 1 foot along the field fence. I then used the rebar posts 1 foot out from the end of the wire on the ground. I strung electric poly wire at 3 inches, 6 inches and 1 foot above the ground. So hopefully problem solved. I really need to totally enclose them, but I'm doing too many projects right now with turning our tobacco barn into a horse barn with stalls.

Last edited:
here my friend few photos of my newly hatched Blue cuckoos chicks from Shamrock X Blue copper hens.

so they are single barred Blue or Black.

pullets are going to be silver cuckoo blue/black
cockerels are going to be impure Golden/silver singled barred blue and Black

love they type .well chunky .

there is some unbarred too .wil ll grow up to =
pure Birchen pullets and pure Blue birchen pullet.
cockerels are going to be impure Golden/Silver S/s+

Now I m working with shamrock brother Double barred Charlie2 , all his chicks are cuckoos single barred Blue and Black

well happy about them .they come late ( now it is a summer over here) but still chunky and healthy chicks

I m keeping the breeders on top shape even with this 44 D C temperature .
they still lay nice large dark eggs 4/5

a lot different F1 to work with next breeding season .

choos man

Here the most recent pic I have of Ms. Moneypenny

here my friend few photos of my newly hatched Blue cuckoos chicks from Shamrock X Blue copper hens. so they are single barred Blue or Black. pullets are going to be silver cuckoo blue/black cockerels are going to be impure Golden/silver singled barred blue and Black love they type .well chunky . there is some unbarred too .wil ll grow up to = pure Birchen pullets and pure Blue birchen pullet. cockerels are going to be impure Golden/Silver S/s+ Now I m working with shamrock brother Double barred Charlie2 , all his chicks are cuckoos single barred Blue and Black well happy about them .they come late ( now it is a summer over here) but still chunky and healthy chicks I m keeping the breeders on top shape even with this 44 D C temperature . they still lay nice large dark eggs 4/5 a lot different F1 to work with next breeding season . choos man
It looks like they are coming along nicely. Do you have some whites in there? I've been wanting to have some birchen marans, is it possible to create them?

Ive got a few too many projects going on to take on another one, lol. I'm going to see if any more males pop up looking like that, then maybe.

This move set me back, our weiner dog killed a few, so we fenced in the yard. Then some young ones squeezed through the fence and he killed them, then we put chicken wire on the bottom. Then some flew over, he killed one. Then they got too big to fly over a 4 foot fence. Then a hawk killed a hen, so I penned them in with 3 foot poultry netting. We were late getting home one night and a raccoon or opossum drug my light double barred rooster out of the coop and killed him. I put up 4 foot field wire around them with a strand of electric at the top. It dug under. Then I put 2 foot wire in an L shape on the ground with 1 foot on the ground staked and 1 foot along the field fence. I then used the rebar posts 1 foot out from the end of the wire on the ground. I strung electric poly wire at 3 inches, 6 inches and 1 foot above the ground. So hopefully problem solved. I really need to totally enclose them, but I'm doing too many projects right now with turning our tobacco barn into a horse barn with stalls.

sorry to hear about your loss my friend .
it is always hard on us to lose a valuable stock .but what you can do .we lose some and we keep some .

mine are all fenced in in they pens .

lost quite few to sickness when I bought the Black copper roosters and a pullets .pullets had all sort of stuff I had to put her to sleep but was too late . the virus she had was already spread .

now all fine .

chooks man

It looks like they are coming along nicely. Do you have some whites in there?

I've been wanting to have some birchen marans, is it possible to create them?

I do have some Dominant white hatched but not a Recessive white .

I m working on the white this year .
my Recessive white roo White Storm is with 5 hens to get a split white and expending the white gene pool .So I m getting Black copper split white .sorry pressed a wrong button .
she is a split white .

there is some Birchen coming out of Shamrock cross with a Blue copper hen.. some are blue other are black.
what I did find out from this crossing that Shamrock is S/s+ B/b+ NOT B/b+ like I was wishing for .
the reason I m saying this because he is throwing some Black and blue copper as well in the mix .
her one Black copper pullet from him .she is a big type

Bonus my friend .

if you want to recreate a Birchen strain you need to introduce a Silver gene to your flock .

choos man

Back
Top Bottom