Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Barred Babies, May 17, 2011.

1. freddyyoung

freddyyoung Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2014
    I have a gcm marans rooster, and I have wheaten marans and copper marans, what would you suggest to breed him with, as I'm not quite sure?

2. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know, but it would be a good experiment to see what each cross produced. The BCMs typically have better egg color, so I think that is why they are usually used to improve the GCMs.

3. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I just culled a bunch of pullets and hens with funky tails (and other issues) and hope to have some nice pens set up for spring. My younger BCM pullets have nice tails, so I plan to cross a batch of them too.

I'll do a few more rounds of culling as the batch in the pics matures, but I think I will be better rewarded by a new cross with better tailed pullets. The olive egger roo has really pretty yellow legs and beak. Not proper for a marans, but I might breed that into my olivers. I'm also culling for size/conformation too. I got some nice oliver crosses from my marans x ameraucana hatches, but I want to keep the egg color while getting closer to a marans body style. And ameraucanas have tails I don't like.

It's really fun to see other people GCM's so I know what to aim for [​IMG]

4. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I built an incubator out of a wine cooler, not so i could fill it full of eggs, but so i had lots of room for hatch baskets. That way I can try all kinds of crosses at one time. But banding the little peepers is fiddly. We use small zip ties and replace them fairly often until their growth slows down. I got 1000 on ebay for like $25, 100 ea of 10 diff colors.

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    We had our cockerels processed this morning. 6 golden cuckoos, 1 mixed breed, 1 Ameraucana, 4 Basque. All were 22 weeks old except for an adult Basque that was a year and a half old.

All weighed about 4 pounds.
    7 were 4# or over (heaviest was 4.3)
    3 were between 3.5 and 4#
    2 were between 3 and 3.5 (I'm pretty sure those were the Ameraucana and the Ameraucana mix)

Those are pretty typical weights for us, so we were pleased with the results. If I were to guess their weights just based on their appearance, I'd say the 7 heaviest were the adult Basque and the 6 cuckoos.

I put our keeper golden cuckoo in a cage and set him in the coop with the girls. I'll give them 24 hours to get to know him and then set him free. I'm hoping he will be good with the hens. So far, he hasn't shown any aggression towards humans. He'll be on trial for a bit.

6. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    "Woody's" debut: :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's been living in a cage for a month, so I think he is a little baffled to suddenly be in charge of a flock, but he appears to be enjoying himself.

There is no blade on his comb, because the other cockerels bit it off, and those nice points will be gone too, after a winter here. Also,there are too many feathers on his toes (his middle toe is also feathered), but as long as he maintains a good disposition, I'll be keeping him around for a while.

1 person likes this.
  7. Paula Ashley

Paula Ashley Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    Arkansas
    I think he is a beauty!

8. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks!

9. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for posting your processing results! Gives me some hope of processing some of mine next year. [​IMG]
    I really like him! Such crisp cuckoo markings!

10. freddyyoung

freddyyoung Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2014
    If I crossed my gcm rooster with some wheaten hens, would the barring be lost in the offspring and if so how would I get it back?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by