Let's talk Heritage Breeds

yotetrapper

Crowing
14 Years
May 3, 2007
North Central MS
So wat exactly IS a heritage breed? A breed that's been around for how long? I'm interested in them, and I believe I have a few. I think wyandottes and orpingtons are heritage breeds, aren't they? Is there a list somewhere of which chickens (and other fowl) falls under the heritage label?

Also, whats your favorite heritage breed for a)egg production b)meat production c) both.

Thanks
Angela

Miss Jayne, don't you just love that website? I love to look at the lists of chickens on the endangered, or critical, or watch, or recovering lists and tick off which breed I could try next. Anticipation . . .

While the ALBC list is good, many on there are Not heritage breeds. Heritage in th US means any breed of american chicken designed and made a breed before the 20 century or date wise 1900. Many on the ALBC list are after that date so are not heritage breeds. They maybe endangered but that is not heritage.

WSouldnt surprise me if heritage breed is a US term, us Americans like old things lol....heritage chickens, heirloom flowers and veggies, antiques, etc.

But back to my questions... can anyone name their favorite heritage (breed thats been around a lonnnng time) breed of chicken for eggs, meat, and both?

It's a good question......but the problem is "Heritage" has never been very well defined in terms of poultry....it's just a loose catch-all phrase people use to mean many different things.

Here are some of the things "Heritage Chicken" means to some people.

1) Breeds that were created in the USA.....not even necessarily old.
2) Old breeds found in North America. This could include breeds from many different countries as long as they are some of the original breeds imported to North America in the 1800's and early 1900's.
3) The way the bird is raised....as in 'heritage methods'. Doesn't matter what the bird is as long as it's raised using the 'old ways'.
4) Birds that are related to your specific heritage. My heritage is Dutch, so "Heritage Chickens" means any breed originating from Holland.

It seems from your question you are looking for 'old' breeds, but not necessarily from North America?

I like Hamburgs....they lay a nice egg, I never had any luck raising them though.

I kind of like the Brahmas.

Hmm well now that you make me think about it, I guess I mean birds that were originally in America. Like, birds the pioneers had. Or heck, even birds great grandpa had. Birds that have been tested and found tried and true. If a bird was being used for eggs 150 years ago, and is still around today, there must be a reason for that.

Back
Top Bottom