Let's Talk HORSES!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lovetopaint, Dec 2, 2014.

1. lovetopaint

lovetopaint Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm assuming that horses count as 'random ramblings...'
    So let's talk horses, people!
    I'll start.
    I've been riding for about 6 years now, and I'll be getting *a* horse soon. I don't know who, what, when, where, why or how, but I am. [​IMG]
    And now I'm looking at the prices of stuff....wow. NO I AM NOT PAYING $10,000 FOR A NEW SADDLE--a used one will do fine. At least I have the barn/pastureland on our property already!!
    And now my friend might be having her horse come to my place too, so we'll have multiplying horses!!

I'm just wondering if anyone has advice for me?! Because I think that I have a list of everything I'll need....but I want to be sure.
    Now I just have to wait for the perfect horse...
    Anyone else here like horses?
    Anyone else here need riding advice?

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

It is good to have a pasture management plan in place. Make arrangements, if you haven't already, to be able to rotate your horse(s) on and off of different pastures. Be prepared to add lime, fertilizer, and seed if necessary to maintain a healthy pasture. Be sure you have a good manure and bedding plan in place. Many new horse owners encounter difficulties when it comes to dealing with this issue. Finding a good equine vet with references who won't bankrupt you can be a challenge in some areas. Unless you have bottomless pockets and boundless patience, resist the urge to take in problem or elderly horses. Always have a potential new horse vetted before agreeing to a purchase. Best of Luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi there!

Yes I love horses. I have had mine for the past 11 years. He is called Harry and is an ex racehorse. He is 18 years of age now and just starting to show the signs of old age. He is getting a little arthritic in the legs but on the other hand he is finally calming down!! He was broken in as a 2 year old and raced from 2-6 before having a year out to grass. I got him as a surprise for my birthday from my super better half. The best birthday present ever!!

I'm trying to keep on top of the arthritis with a very good joint supplement and magnet therapy boots which really do seem to be working for him. We still ride out too he is excellent in traffic, safe and sensible and the work is good for him too.

Totally agree with petrels post great advice there for you. My advice is be prepared for the hard work and commitment you have to put into them. You get out of your horse what you put in. It really is a 24/7 365 day a year job.

You say you have a list, once you have your horse your list will really become endless, you can never have enough horsey horsey stuff as my better half keeps pointing out to me!! And I keep agreeing with him there is always something else they need.

Wishing you the very best of luck in finding your equine companion they really do become your best friend :frow

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Another horse owner here! It's quite addicting, but a good addiction I think (like chickens LOL). Have fun in your endeavor. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by