Lets talk Mealworms

Mine love grubs I find in my front lawn cause lord knows I don’t have any grass in my back yard.... my daughter bought dried meal worms for 2 years but now... she has a meal worm farm in her basement and she gives them live....I am thinking of doing the same... I give my sweeties speghetti as a treat once a week maybe.... they run with the strands like they have an edible toad or giant bug. I know it has nothing great for them but they love it... they also love cantaloupe, watermelon and any leafy thing I can give them including grass clipping.

Well this thread is interesting. Over the past ten years we have had 0 chicks or chickens who would turn up their beaks at mealworms of any sort. They also love sour grass, which looks like clover but forms yummy seed pods, and is a totally FREE treat. Thank goodness.
Very interesting. I suspected mine were alien chickens from another planet. Hmmmm... we've got plenty of clover, maybe I'll see if that appeals to them. Not sure about Sour Grass.

Mine love grubs I find in my front lawn cause lord knows I don’t have any grass in my back yard.... my daughter bought dried meal worms for 2 years but now... she has a meal worm farm in her basement and she gives them live....I am thinking of doing the same... I give my sweeties speghetti as a treat once a week maybe.... they run with the strands like they have an edible toad or giant bug. I know it has nothing great for them but they love it... they also love cantaloupe, watermelon and any leafy thing I can give them including grass clipping.

Cool. Yep, I gave ours spaghetti once and they DO act like they just captured the BEST grub on the planet. I may try to warm up to the idea of a meal work farm.....not sure if I can. :idunno

@JustAnotherChickie mealworms are the absolute easiest thing to raise they dont fly they can't climb the sides of the container they don't bite they just reproduce alot mine are in fish tanks so my kids can watch them my 6yo son is my checker he checks them everyday and separates them beetles larva pupa and makes sure they are in there own tank and he used to use tweezers but not anymore

Back
Top Bottom