Let's talk poop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by oandrea, Aug 3, 2008.

1. oandrea

oandrea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    DFW, Texas
    I just got my chickens last wednesday and they are eating and drinking fine.. about 9-10 weeks old now I think. It's extremely hot here right now. Today it was 106. I have a fan on them all day and they are under a tree in the shade all day as well. NOt too much panting going on and they get a gallon of Ice to hang around as well.
    OK so here is my question. I expected chicken poo to be less firm than what I am seeing in the ground. Are they dehydrated you think? Some other issue? Is this normal for them to have firm poop? I expected it to be half liquid and I think it was more 'wet' when they first came home and it wasn't this hot.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, with similar conditions and 14 week olds, I have some that grunt it out dryish and others that squirt it out wettish. I have no idea why. I'm thinking it's time to deworm.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Firm poop happens quite often, its normal I think. Maybe give them some fruits, like watermelon.

4. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    My chickens have quite variable poops. Everything from liquid, to something as firm as a dog turd.

How is that for detail? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by