Let's talk Pop Doors...

TheBajan

Songster
Mar 18, 2018
Davisburg, Michigan
Hello again,
I'm back with a couple of questions. The most important question is how big should a pop door be? We have some large breeds like Brahmas and Orpingtons. I'd also love pictures, opinions, ideas on automatic pop doors.
Thanks! The adventure continues...

They can be any size but at least 18" high and 12" -18" wide is good depending on how many birds you're talking about.
Do you want to buy an automatic door or design/build your own?

I read somewhere that you don't want the door to be high enough for the chicken to stand up in as some bossy ones may just stand there and block the door.

Here is the door I built.

JT

Our openings are 10"x12" (covered by 12"x14" cookie sheets), but our birds may be smaller than yours. We have three 10-month old hens: a Buff Orpington, a Plymouth Barred Rock, and a Red Star. We also created a 12"x12" chunnel that leads to a bigger run -- they can pass each other in it. We use the ChickenGuard door opener; we like it.

Attachments

• door20170721_185700.jpg
    door20170721_185700.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 35
  • door20171223_160028_edited-1.jpg
    door20171223_160028_edited-1.jpg
    930.7 KB · Views: 34
I recently converted my coop's pop door to function automatically by timer to keep rodents out at night. My design was based on Sow Edible's design, also utilized by Red Tool House, who has a good video on YouTube. It uses a linear actuator, which is ideal in my opinion, because it functions to open/close and lock door all in one.
IMG_0103.JPG

I recently converted my coop's pop door to function automatically by timer to keep rodents out at night. My design was based on Sow Edible's design, also utilized by Red Tool House, who has a good video on YouTube. It uses a linear actuator, which is ideal in my opinion, because it functions to open/close and lock door all in one.
View attachment 1322237

The danger of using a linear actuator is it can crush a chicken. Careful attention has to be paid to the closing time. If the linkage was free to move and a micro switch could detect a jammed door it would be a perfect setup.

JT

Back
Top Bottom