Let's Talk With Some Weirdos

Pics
On a serious note, time outs work great, if accompanied with good parenting in general, strong routines, etc. You cant let a child get away with insane things and then put them in a two minute time out and wonder why it isnt working. They're shaped by the amount of attention, and the amount of discipline they get, 6 year olds aren't inherently evil (sometimes hard to believe 😂)

Jokes aside, hitting kids doesn't teach them why not to do something. It just teaches them fear. Some argue fear teaches respect, I disagree. Disrespecting a child doesn't teach respect. Every badly behaved I've met, has either had learning disabilities and needs specific methods of discipline, or has had less than good parents. I've been abused by people, never once earned respect.
You can disagree, but that's my opinion.
I disagree completely. Spanking works. There must be punishment for bad behavior. Time outs are not punishments

It's amazing how working with kids who have experienced trauma has changed my view on parenting. So many times, it ISN'T the parents. So. Many. I have met 6 year olds who were, in fact, inherently evil, or at least born so broken that right and wring were meaningless.

The only time I ever smacked my kids were when they did something truly dangerous and they needed the shock - like when one turned on all the gas burners (even though the knobs were off) or when the other ran across a parking lot and almost got killed by a speeding SUV.
I worked with 0-5's, mainly with 2-3 year olds. I can honestly say during that time that I never met a child that genuinely inherently bad. If one, regardless of parenting strategy, was simply impossible, I'd be curious as to whether they were undiagnosed with something. If not, then I don't know. My experience was somewhat limited to the younger kids

Back
Top Bottom