Let's talk Wry Neck/Crook Neck

In very new chicks wry neck can be from a vitamin E and selenium deficiency. Vitamin E capsules can be used along with selenium or foods that contain selenium, such as egg, tuna, salmon, liver, chopped nuts, sunflower kernels and others. At the bottom of this link, there is specific vitamin and mineral dosages for a 2 lb or 1 Kg bird:  http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

So I've given them a few sunflower seeds and made sure they took some water, my vitamin an E liquid capsuals shook arrive soon. And I assume seeing as they are only tiny little things I should only give her a drop once a day? Sound about right?
Thanks for the help to by the way
1f60a.png

Working on an 8 week old chick with what appears to be wry neck. Found her Wednesday collapsed upsidown in her container, no symptoms prior to that. Immediately started her on electrolytes, vitamin E and Selenium. First day was terrible, but the second and third day she really seemed to improve. Then yesterday she seemed to loose her coordination, and got ver listless. Ugh I'm so frustrated!!! Have been hand feeding her scrambled eggs but she would peck them out of my hand while I held her upright, now I have to lay them against her beak and she won't even open her eyes! Is this a normal setback in the progression or do I need roads another vitamin (thinki g of getting vitamin a)?? HELP

Im wondering if it is something other than wry neck you re dealing with. I would post anew on the emergencies forum area but start a new thread so others might chime in with ideas other than wry neck.

Im wondering if it is something other than wry neck you re dealing with.  I would post anew on the emergencies forum area but start a new thread so others might chime in with ideas other than wry neck.

Possibly. It really does follow the symptoms of wry neck though, and for the first two days she really seemed to be getting better with the vitamin E. I'm thinking the swelling in her head just got worse, gave her a tiny bit of aspirin this afternoon and she seemed to respond within an hour positively. Going to the vet tomorrow to try and get prednisone, but if anyone has any other suggestions in the mean time it is terrible to watch her struggle
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

Eyes closed just really concerns me. Is it possible she has a sinus infection...you mentioned head swelling? Good for you to take her to the vet. That is the very best thing you can do.

Eyes closed just really concerns me.  Is it possible she has a sinus infection...you mentioned head swelling?  Good for you to take her to the vet.  That is the very best thing you can do.

Attached is a picture that really shows the swelling on the left side of her head...

no mucus or discharge from either her nose or eyes, although her right eye she keeps tucked under flipped around and I have trouble getting a good look at it. No wheezing or breathing issues either. She eats like a champ and has gained a lot of strength in her lower half since this started, in fact on Friday I couldn't believe how much better she seemed, standing and trying to lift her head up. Then by the end of the day Saturday she seemed off balance and her pecking aim was off, and all day yesterday she didn't even want to open her eyes. She still struggles with her legs strongly though when I hold her. I have had to work all day today with just a few visits to hand feed her and medicate. I can't wait to see if the aspirin has helped any more when I get home at 8

Last edited:
Attached is a picture that really shows the swelling on the left side of her head...

no mucus or discharge from either her nose or eyes, although her right eye she keeps tucked under flipped around and I have trouble getting a good look at it. No wheezing or breathing issues either. She eats like a champ and has gained a lot of strength in her lower half since this started, in fact on Friday I couldn't believe how much better she seemed, standing and trying to lift her head up. Then by the end of the day Saturday she seemed off balance and her pecking aim was off, and all day yesterday she didn't even want to open her eyes. She still struggles with her legs strongly though when I hold her. I have had to work all day today with just a few visits to hand feed her and medicate. I can't wait to see if the aspirin has helped any more when I get home at 8

I am wondering how she is doing? did the vet give you any answers? I have a silkie I have been doctoring since nov. I don't know if she has wry neck or has a head injury from one of my leghorns. I have been giving her, vit e cap. with selenium, vit B12 complex, and calcium with vit D and my vet suggested adding folic acid. I have recently added collidial silver. She flaps her wings a lot now and she sometimes puts her legs in the correct positions. but only tries to walk backwards. I don't think she will ever walk again but as long as she is eating and not in pain I will take care of her. I wish you well. If i can help feel free to private message me.

I am wondering how she is doing? did the vet give you any answers? I have a silkie I have been doctoring since nov. I don't know if she has wry neck or has a head injury from one of my leghorns. I have been giving her, vit e cap. with selenium, vit B12 complex, and calcium with vit D and my vet suggested adding folic acid. I have recently added collidial silver. She flaps her wings a lot now and she sometimes puts her legs in the correct positions. but only tries to walk backwards. I don't think she will ever walk again but as long as she is eating and not in pain I will take care of her. I wish you well.  If i can help feel free to private message me.

We have family over for dinner so I will give a more thorough overview of the vet visit later, but basically the vet thinks it's bacterial or viral and we're trying antibiotics. I will update more in a bit!

My thought are with you both. I know how heart wrenching this can all be. Last year I had a chick that was spraddle leg then developed wry neck. She had so many ups and downs I lost count. Hopefully if it is bacterial antibiotics with be a fast acting cure. good luck

Back
Top Bottom