Let's talk Wry Neck/Crook Neck

I'm new to the bird thing and decided to get 10 ducks from Meizer Farms. I got 6 white layers and 3 runners. The white layers are a hybridized duck that will lay up to 280 large eggs a year with a few additional hours of light in the winter. I also got runners to eat the bugs around my house. I live on a creek and I have bugs here that most people have never seen.

Most of the ducks I ordered were healthy. 8 of 10 were. There are two however (white layers) that have needed my care. One that they shipped has a beak that is not fully grown on the top. Which makes it real hard for this duck to eat unless it has deep food. I’m sure you can imagine if a birds beak doesn’t clamp down at the same point they have difficulty eating things. It’s pretty much got a scoop on the bottom. She also has no nose. Her nostrils that are supposed to be on the beak are gone. There is one non functional hole towards the end on her left side. Poor girl has to breathe out of her mouth all the time. I'm not sure what the spot on her upper beak is. Anyone knows than please tell me. And if there is something I need to put on it let me know that too please.

When she arrived she wouldn’t open her eyes and was real weak. Ducks, I've learned, like to pick on the disabled ones. Pecking at her eyes and such. Now that she has room in the big brooder to get away she is fine and doesn't get picked on as much. The first 3 days of life in the shipping box she hadn’t eaten anything as the healthy ones wont let the disabled ones in to eat or drink. So after a couple hours of her laying in the same spot not opening her eyes, I quickly dunked her head in the water a few times. Within minutes she had her eyes open and was starting to scoop up water and food with her funny beak. We named her lucky because she’s lucky to be alive. A lot of people would just “cull” a duck like this. But I like animals too much to do that and I’m willing to take care of the girl. She's special to me.

Then the other, which is very sad to see, has wry neck I think. I got these ducks last Wednesday. I researched online and found that it's probably wry neck on Friday. That's when I started Poly Visol. But I later found that Poly Visol doesn't have selenium. So I got Poultry Cell because it has everything in the 1 product to fix wry neck. And it was extremely hard to get any drops into my babies beak because she saw that syringe coming towards her and she would clamp it shut. One question is, Poultry Cell boasts about how it has iron. Everyone says online get the Poly without iron. But I'm not sure if this is an internet rumor being passed around or ducklings and little chicks can't take iron. Apparently by Poultry Cells boasting about their iron it must be an essential nutrient for poultry.

From what I've read, wry neck is a problem where the mother duck from the breeder didn’t have a good amount of Vitamin E and Selenium in her body to pass along to her babies. This little girl can’t hold her head up. So she runs around with her head sideways. It's not flopping totally down. She's about half way tilted to the side. She runs and swims in circles. I let them all get in the wheelbarrow with some water in it for a swim and she started freaking out and almost drowned herself. She was rapidly swimming circles and then started dunking herself swimming circles that turned into upside down in the water out of the water in the water out of the water. Like underwater somersaults. I had to snatch her out real quick.

Both of these medical needs ducks are smaller than the rest. It’s a lot harder for them to eat and drink. For those who haven't experienced this, picture the shape of a beak and trying to eat food or drink water when it’s sideways. It all falls right back out. I have been nursing that little girl back to health starting with the Poly and changing to the Poultry Cell since it has selenium, in her water and some sunflower seeds which are packed with the needed E and Selenium for wry neck. So far, day 4, I see no difference. I named her Hope. Because I hope she lives. It looks in the photo that she is resting her head on the other. Aww, how cute. NOPE, that’s not what she’s doing. Her head is like that all the time. She’s a stargazer...

Here’s a photo of all of them snuggling. Hope is buried in there somewhere. She’s a pretty popular little gal. They all like her. She doesn’t know she’s different. She will peck at them and run around with her crook neck just like the rest. Lucky, with the strange bill, is a little slow. So she is the runt and gets picked on. By the way she acts I’m thinking she may have a little mental handicap. She sure is a sweetie though. My favorites are Lucky and Hope!

they are little sweeties i to have started raising call ducks they are such a joy i really enjoy watching them ..the worst i have had with the ducks is angel wing ..i am fight crook neck with one of my little chicks im hoping this vit B will do the trick.. keep us posted on your babies
smile.png

they are little sweeties i to have started raising call ducks they are such a joy i really enjoy watching them ..the worst i have had with the ducks is angel wing ..i am fight crook neck with one of my little chicks im hoping this vit B will do the trick.. keep us posted on your babies
smile.png

Thank you! I love those little girls and one guy. I will continue to post updates. And I am hoping you were meaning to hit the E rather than the B. From what I've read in several veterinarian websites on the internet they are saying the two vitamin deficiencies that cause crook neck are E and selenium.

Thank you! I love those little girls and one guy. I will continue to post updates. And I am hoping you were meaning to hit the E rather than the B. From what I've read in several veterinarian websites on the internet they are saying the two vitamin deficiencies that cause crook neck are E and selenium.
thank you .. i have read on byc many people were giving their chicks vitamin E and B plus the selenium .. i will just try the E and selenium and see how that goes .. i took him to my vet today, she is not a bird vet persay but she is a farm vet and have taken chickens to her before so i thought i would give her a try she suggested i massage his neck several times a day to see if that will help also, who knows going to give it a try

thank you .. i have read on byc many people were giving their chicks vitamin E and B plus the selenium .. i will just try the E and selenium and see how that goes .. i took him to my vet today, she is not a bird vet persay but she is a farm vet and have taken chickens to her before so i thought i would give her a try she suggested i massage his neck several times a day to see if that will help also, who knows going to give it a try
what are the amount of vitamin E and selenium are you supposed to use?

With the product called Poultry Cell you mix two tablespoons in a gallon of water. Then use that gallon of solution to fill their water. And it has all of the vitamins in it that they need, B, Selenium, E and the rest. It is looking like my little girl Hope is starting to be able to hold her head a little more straight. It is still crooked but it is a little better than before. Sometimes she will straighten it all the way for a second. I was hoping for a full recovery. Right now I'm at about a week of giving her and the rest of the healthy ducklings water with vitamins and nutrients in it.

With the product called Poultry Cell you mix two tablespoons in a gallon of water. Then use that gallon of solution to fill their water. And it has all of the vitamins in it that they need, B, Selenium, E and the rest. It is looking like my little girl Hope is starting to be able to hold her head a little more straight. It is still crooked but it is a little better than before. Sometimes she will straighten it all the way for a second. I was hoping for a full recovery. Right now I'm at about a week of giving her and the rest of the healthy ducklings water with vitamins and nutrients in it.
so happy to hear hope is starting to do better
smile.png
my little roo isnt he eats and drinks with out a problem but it seems he is holding his head down more than before where did you find the poultry cell i check the feed store today and they dont carry it

smile.png
my little roo isnt he eats and drinks with out a problem but it seems he is holding his head down more than before where did you find the poultry cell i check the feed store today and they dont carry it
i looked up poultry cell found where i can get some ..is there a differance between poultry cell and rooster poultry cell or is that just the brand name?

smile.png

I went to my local farm store. A Southern States store. I'm sure all Southern States can order it. Not sure if they have at Tractor Supply. But if you go on eBay or Amazon there are lots of people selling it. You may want to check to see if you have any other farm stores there besides the one you were at so you can get it fast. That's the only one that has all of the needed vitamins in it. I was not able to find anything else. And it has been super easy. You mix 2 tablespoons in a gallon of water and just let all of the chickens or ducks drink it. I found it to be extremely hard to get my little girls to open their beaks and take a few drops of liquid. Can't get easier than Poultry Cell.

Back
Top Bottom