letting 4 and 5 wk old chicks outside??

gringold

Chirping
May 2, 2015
I have 5 5 week old chicks and 7 4 week old chicks that I have put out in my coop. They were just too big for the brooder. They have been out there since Monday of this week and seem to be doing fine. We have had a cold snap, but they still seem to be fine. I want to let them out into the run some. It is in the upper 60's right now with a high of 75 expected. They are in the shade under my deck and porch. Is it too cold for them to be out for awhile and are they big enough to go up and down the chicken ramp by themselves yet. One more question, my run is 5 feet tall with no roof, but is completely covered by my deck. Is that tall enough so they won't fly out? Thanks.

I am NO expert and am curious to hear replies, but I was told by the maker of my custom coop that my chicks (also 5 weeks) were fine to be in the coop with the ramp down BUT they should be closed inside for a few days first to get used to the set up before the ramp is let down. I do let them play in the grass in their pen for small periods of time , but I put them away when they start slowing down. The coop stays nice and toasty with the heat lamp set up.

My first batch were put outside at 5 weeks & 3 weeks (13 chicks) no heating, similar temperature. I closed off the upper roosting area/nesting boxes, they had the whole bottom run under the coop to gang out for the first couple weeks. I had plenty of branches to roost on plus a little three sided box for draft protection. Once they out grew the bottom, I opened the pop door and gave full access to the run. My new chicks start outside as day old chicks with heating lamp. Nesting boxes are blocked until they start laying.

I'd say they're absolutely fine...After a few weeks, they should be able to handle 60-70f days and colder nights...

Thanks for the advice. I kept them in and then let them out yesterday and today. They really seemed to like it. Here is them all outside. It was hard getting some of them in last night, but they did it fine today. My next struggle will be deciding which ones to keep and which ones to give away or use for meat birds. I think at least one of the reds is a roo and maybe both. I also think one or both of the barred rocks are roos. The rest seem more hennish if that is a real word. There are 5 that I bought as hens, but I am hoping some of the Australorps turn out to be hens. So far it is looking that way. My dream would be 1 of each, but that is not going to happen so the next best will be 1 leghorn,2 Australorps, and 2 Wyandottes.

Thanks. I was afraid of that. The both already have combs. They are so pretty too. Oh well, I guess they will have to be meat birds. I am trying to be realistic about these chickens. They are not going to just be pets. I'll try to get some up close pictures of the rest for thoughts on them.

Sorry, I am stealing this thread for a moment. I have 6 week old chicks that are outside. Got some 3 week old chickies a few days ago (from the same place the first three came from), and they have been out playing in the coop during the day happily. At night I have been bringing them in, but I'm almost thinking it's pointless to have the brooder set up. There is heat in the coop, and I have been putting the ramp that leads to the run up at night so they are confined to the coop w/the heat lamp. It's getting down to about the 50s here at night I think. Would the smaller chicks be ok out in the coop full time?

Yes, they will be fine outside, the first time I put mine outside. There were 13 of them 3 weeks and 5 weeks old, no heat. Highs were 70, low 50. I was more nervous. They were happy. They just snuggled together at night. Now, mine are outside with a heat lamp from the first day I bring them home. I currently have 6 two week old chicks in my grow out coop inside my run.

Yes, they will be fine outside, the first time I put mine outside. There were 13 of them 3 weeks and 5 weeks old, no heat. Highs were 70, low 50. I was more nervous. They were happy. They just snuggled together at night. Now, mine are outside with a heat lamp from the first day I bring them home. I currently have 6 two week old chicks in my grow out coop inside my run.

They have been out there all day and I can't imagining moving them back to the little brooder. They are loving it.

Back
Top Bottom