Letting 8 week chicks outside.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kscottjoyce, Mar 1, 2011.

1. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chirping

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Hello, and thank you for your help. I have two "chicks" that are 8 weeks old. I am wondering what temperatures a chicken of this age can endure? I am also interested in if they are still "chicks" at this time or are they called a different name, one is male one is female.

2. pkw

pkw Songster

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    It is okay to let them out. I have some 9 week olds that loves going outdoors. I still call them chicks (older chicks). I don't know what the correct term is.

3. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chirping

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Sorry, should have mentioned that I live in New England, can get pretty cold still.

4. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chirping

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    Where in NE? In NH tonight it is going to be in the teens, I would think that is to cold unless you have slowly aclimated your chicks to the temps.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If they have been acclimated to the temps. slowly, they should be fine. Chicks normally do not need supplemental heat after 5 to 6 weeks old, if you have lowered the temp. on them gradually.

6. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chirping

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    I am in Massachusetts. I am not going to let them out tonight but was more curious about when they would be able to withstand the weather. I wouldn't put them out until I am sure they can more than take it.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    By the way, your young male is properly called a cockerel. At a year old he becomes a rooster, a cock or a stag.

Your young female is a pullet. At a year old she becomes a hen.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My eight weekers have been outside for two weeks. it's been as cold as -10 and they are fine. They weren't even huddled when it was ultra cold. /shrug. [​IMG]

9. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chirping

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Featherz, thanks for the info. I have four eggs that I am hoping to have hatch this coming Saturday, time for the little chickens to move to the porch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: