Letting chicks out of the brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sphillips, Mar 6, 2013.

1. sphillips

sphillips Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    My chicks are almost 1 week old (I think). They seem very healthy, hopping around, and eating/drinking well. Do I need to let them out of the brooder occasionally, or will they be alright being left in until they are feathered out? I only have 6 right now in a bathtub. Also, how can I get them more used to me? I know I'm not supposed to handle them much initially, but would like them to get to the point that they don't freak out everytime I put my hand in their cage.

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    If you can remember how someone coming around a corner scares you, you will know how the chicks feel when you come looming over the top of the tub. Whistle before you get there to let them know something is coming. When you go to visit, whistle & take them a treat, minced hard boiled eggs is a great treat for young birds. (not to much at first) They may not eat it at first, but if you leave it they will find it. After awhile when you whistle you will notice that they are standing at the side looking up, waiting, & will gobble up the eggs as soon as you put it down. They will be your friend for life & will continue that everytime you go outside as long as you continue to "bribe" them with treats. -Chickens aren't stupid.

1 person likes this.
  3. jcarter3

jcarter3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    I wouldn't let them out of the brooder until there to four weeks, depending on the weather, then for short periods at six weeks they should be fine out during the day. A radio playing the back ground will help from them being startled at every little noise. Good Luck JRC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by