Letting Duck Raise Her Cluch of Ducklings

Starbawk

Songster
5 Years
Mar 28, 2017
My duck went broody for the first time and should hatch a clutch of ducklings this weekend. She is currently housed with one drake, but I will have about 7 mixed-sex ducks coming today as well as three turkey poults. They are all about two months old. I am able to house the new birds together but separate from the current ducks for the time being but I only have two places for them. I would prefer to integrate all the ducks together soon so I can use the other area for the turkeys.

I would like to let mama duck raise her own ducklings, but I am curious about how I should go about doing that. Do I need to keep her and her ducklings separated from the other ducks for some period of time by means of temporary partition/fencing? What should I be feeding everyone? I'm sure adult/layer duck feed is too calcium rich for the ducklings. Should I feed everyone duckling feed? What about the water situation? Do I need to keep them away from the tub of water I have? It's an old cat litter box, deep enough for the big birds to get their whole faces into. What about predators? At what point can I let mama and chicks free range together when we are home?

The other consideration is that where the adult ducks currently are (an old corn crib) is elevated from the ground. We can put up a ramp of sorts but it's pretty high and I worry about the ducklings navigating it. We've used it for turkeys in the past and they're able to do so after some serious hesitation and a ramp. The other area is on flat ground and would be better for the ducks, but obviously I don't want to move her. At what point could I move her and her ducklings?

What else am I missing that I haven't even thought to ask?

Thanks!

Wait till all the ducklings are finished hatching then move her and her ducklings.
You'll need to separate the drake before hatch begins or he could kill or injure ducklings. he will not see them as his. They will need a ramp wide enough to waddle up and down to get into the shelter and sloped so not to steep.
You'll have to keep mama and ducklings separated until the ducklings are at least 2-3 weeks old because most mamas are very protective and won't abide by having another bird close by.{ I am going by my own experience with my Muscovy} She may want to take them out after their first week. I give them close areas at first so ai can keep an eye on everyone. Then as weeks progress I give them more area to forage in, You'll just have to play this by ear, every mama duck is different. You don't want them having access to open water learned the hard way on that one. I use to homemade water containers. I have tagged @DuckyDonna to post hers since I am having trouble getting my pics up. But for mama I use a taller container so the ducklings can't get into it. All your birds can eat starter or all flock crumble.

Here are my waterer pictures. I start with just a cool whip container
F4D4AD45-9942-4C5A-9916-6B57567A16EF.jpeg

Then move on to the milk jug
3569DE89-C493-4D87-8037-855BF68E80D3.jpeg
Then onto the basin
Here is a video on how to do the milk jug one.

Related question that's neither here nor there. Here is what her ducklings looked like that we hatched in the incubator for a friend. Mom is Rouen and dad is Pekin. Based on the fuzz coloration is there any way to know what the feathering will look like?
187450562_759084997285_187395637082515521_n.jpg

She's super cute right? I am actually now debating what mom is. We got her as a rescue duck after a previous homeowner left them behind when my friend (realtor)'s client bought a property. Totally unknown history and she started laying eggs immediately and then went broody as soon as we let her lay a big clutch. She looks like a Rouen but no blue patch on the wing. I wish I had a better picture but here she is. I'm almost thinking
170277570_756808259885_6533551030647060663_n (1).jpg
she's a Gold 300 hybrid. Or is it possible for a Rouen not to have that blue patch? Her eggs are white.

They are beautiful, She could very well be a Golden 300, or a Rouen mix. I'd lean towards Golden 300, she doesn't have the 2 eye stripes either. Love your Pekin. He has a feather bugger too. Aren't they funny.

Back
Top Bottom