Letting Ducks in the Garden

Pheasant283

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
SD
I have heard that you can let ducks in the garden to eat bugs and what not, and they will not eat the plants like chickens. Just wanted to know if this is true???

They are going to chow down on ever green thing they see, have a nibble if they like it..well there will be no stopping them unless removed
roll.png

How about free ranging them. Once they are imprinted on there pen will they come back to it every night? We have Indian Runner Ducks

What gofaster said,
Mine have learned to "put themselves to bed" but every once in a while they need a little reminder. Meaning I have to walk outside and once they see me attempting to round them up, they will go on their own.

As far as gardens go, plants like spinach and lettuce are NEVER safe but larger plants like squash and pumpkin will be fine once they are mature and no longer "tender." Good Luck!

I have my garden fenced to keep the ducks out! Mine will eat everything in there, not just the weeds and bugs. I do free range mine. Occasional they decide they want to stay out in the yard and sleep. I just "herd" them in by slowly walking behind them and they scoot into their pen. Most of the time though they will go in on their own.

Mine followed the dog into the garden the other day. And they didn't eat anything they shouldn't have until they came upon the grape tomato plant and they started plucking the tomatoes off!
I think they nibbled on the bok choy as well. I know Cadbury snacked on it when they were just seedlings.

My 2 runners put themselves to bed. Since it is almost dark now, they are probably already in the duck yard and will be in their house within 5 mins waiting for me to go out and say good night and lock them in for the night.

I had some gorgeous brocolli and coliflower growing in a bed I thought would be safe from my monsters...I mean ducks...everything was going fine! My plants were huge and slug free...I go out of town for a weekend and to exact their revenge the little rascals ate the plants practically down to the root...every last one of them. There was a single stalk of asparagus growing as well, and one of them had the audacity to eat the head off.
he.gif

And I thought the goats would be my biggest worry!

Lesson learned, chicken wire will be up this weekend. Just glad SOMEONE got to enjoy em!!!

I am glad this topic was posted.

I currently have our garden fenced off so the ducks can not go in there. But I was wondering if after a while, after the plants get much bigger, I can open it up and let the ducks in to eat the bugs and if they would leave the plants alone.

I thought if the plants we bigger but not producing that maybe the'd be safe..... I am not so sure now.
sad.png

I think it is better safe then sorry. They have acres to roam at my place.... I think I will stick with keeping the fence up!
wink.png

We had chainlink around our garden to keep the dogs out and the baby ducks squeezed through and ate all the little spinach and lettuce plants and then all the leaves off of the radishes. There is now a chicken wire barracade along the bottom and I had to replant the spinach and lettuce (but now it is hot
roll.png
) The radishes seem to be growing new leaves on their own so I let them be. (I don't like radishes myself so won't be hurt if they don't survive - just don't tell my hubby
smile.png
)

One of my dogs has a fondness for the bean plant leaves though
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom