Letting ducks out of run

Kaira89

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2024
Texas
My ducks have killed all the grass in their run. Unfortunately, I can't move the run. I was thinking about letting them out of there while I'm outside with them. My problem is that I have a gate with enough of a gap for them to get under and a muscovy that can fly. Is there anything I could use as a leash?

Info. I'm in suburbia so I want to keep them in my backyard for safety since there is a colony of feral cats in my neighborhood

I have Muscovy. I use to cut their wings a little so that they won’t fly. Trained them to the point to where they don’t want to ever leave the yard. Why leave a good thing where you have a pond/water, food, shelter, friends, etc?
They have a run….and I do let them out at any possible time as long as I’m around.
I also have 5 feral cats. I let them stick around in case of mice. They are some pretty big cats. But, from what I’ve seen, Muscovy duck can handle themselves around cats long as they are not bobcat or bigger.

Attachments

• IMG_5685.jpeg
    IMG_5685.jpeg
    774.6 KB · Views: 3
I used to have a gap under my gate but I put paver bricks there to build it up, then poured gravel all around and inbetween them, no more gap, and looks nice too.

A leash wouldn't work for ducks - they would hate that. Block the gate - most likely your muscovy will want to stay with the flock and won't fly. Yeah, they are hard on grass, but they need to enjoy that free-ranging too! You can supervise and you can also build a moveable pen for your yard.

Attachments

• IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom