letting eggs settle before incubation

Lilyofsalen

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
Hi,
I just finished my homemade incubator (see opinions on incubator thread) and got some eggs from a friend of mine who has quail. I plan on setting them tomorrow morning but for now, they are sitting on their sides in a chicken egg crate outside of the incubator.

For future reference, do you have to sit eggs a certain way while they settle? (pointy end up/down, or on their sides)

I personally have always had them resting pointy side down. They will probably be okay on their sides too, I'd imagine. Just make sure to at least turn the eggs position once a day to help avoid the yolk from sticking to a side.

Here is Brinsea's advice page on storing fertile eggs. https://www.brinsea.com/articles/advice/EggStorage.aspx

And a screenshot on how they recommend turning the egg at least once a day.
Screenshot_20200804-220758_Firefox.jpg

I'm sorry, I should have worded it better before.

Here is how I store my fertile eggs. (At least my chicken eggs).

The day the eggs are laid, I put them pointy side down in an egg tray. I allow them to settle throughout the rest of the day/night. Next morning, if I'm not putting them in the incubator that day, I prop the egg tray on its side to allow the eggs to be at an angle, to move the yolk.

I hope this makes better sense? Sorry again

I am unsure, however in my mind, I believe when a hen lays her eggs, they are already on their sides. But I really don't know if there is an advantage or not. I have only ever stored them pointy side down.

Back
Top Bottom