1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Letting eggs sit after being shipped?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jbowyer01, Jan 23, 2011.

1. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Help!!!! Its been a while since I did a hatch and I have forgotten how long I need to let the eggs sit after the have been shipped to me (before I actually set them in the incubator after picking them at the post office). I seem to recall it only being a couple of hours but I can not locate the information anywhere. I've searched through the BYC learning center for the answer but cant find anything.

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    is good to wait at least 24 hours

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I figured mine would sit in the incubator. They went right in after they came up to temp.

Most are doing just fine.

4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Thanks I appreciate it.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I always wait at least a day.... I also candle them before they go in to make sure the air sacks haven't been detached.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  6. chikincrazee

chikincrazee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    IL
    HI....I tried the method where you put them in the bator once you get them but dont turn them until after 24hours...this way it gives them a chance to settle and it worked prettty good on my last shipment of silkie eggs....actually got babies...used a brinsea octagon eco 20 for that hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by