Letting them free range.. will they run away? :)

I don't think you'll get rid of them that easy! Mine were also about 12 weeks old before we let them out. I was surprised by how fearful they were. We started them in the run and they didn't really go into it for about 4 days. When we started letting them free range and it took them awhile to want to go outside too. They now love it though and go a little bit further each day. But some of them still sit inside on very hot days with the door wide open and don't go outside. Crazy chickens. Our rooster is worthless too, he stays in the run all day while the others free-range.

Once the door to the run blew shut but the coop door was open and I watched them fly into the closed door, gather all around it wanting to get in at the end of the day. They would have to walk about 10 feet to the coop door but couldn't figure that one out.

They always put themselves to bed without a problem. Usually around 8:30 here in the midwest. They don't know much, but they do know to go inside at night.

Our chickens are free range. They're pretty young, but have all survived and stay within our property. Today they disappeared. My neighbor called to tell me they were behind someone else's house. They ended up running into the woods and absolutely will not come out. And I'm not sure they'll be able to find their way home...(sad face). Any suggestions? It'll be dark soon. I left lights on near the coop, but I'm sure other neighbors will have lights on and they might be drawn to them (and we don't know the other neighbors).

I guess I am just to over protective I will not let my girls out of the run to free range unless I am right there to watch them! I live in the woods and there are just to many predators out there! I have been watching a coopers hawk the last couple of days flying around and there is no way I would let my girls out of their completely enclosed run. And I don't think my neighbors would be understanding if they decided to go for a visit! My grandmother raised chickens and never let hers out of the run!

Our chickens are free range. They're pretty young, but have all survived and stay within our property. Today they disappeared. My neighbor called to tell me they were behind someone else's house. They ended up running into the woods and absolutely will not come out. And I'm not sure they'll be able to find their way home...(sad face). Any suggestions? It'll be dark soon. I left lights on near the coop, but I'm sure other neighbors will have lights on and they might be drawn to them (and we don't know the other neighbors).

Liz, I know a long time has gone by but still want to know how it went. Hope all is well.

Back
Top Bottom