Letting them range without a run

We have less than a 1/3 acre, they roam throughout the yard inside the privacy fence keeping us and our blue heeler entertained, there have been several times when one of them have flown out of the yard ( I did not clip their wings as we have a large green belt with many predators which I wanted them to be able to evade) at dusk they always return, We refer to this time as "walkabout", there is obvious concern for their welfare and for egg laying elsewhere but frankly these are not a cash supply for us so I am comfortable with the occasional daytime stroll every once in a while.
That being said a friend of mine set up a similar coop at the same time and his hens are penned in, both sets of hens came from the same feed store yet we get an egg per hen per day, he gets 2-3 eggs every other day from the same 4 birds. I am not suggesting I am anything of an authority here but it does seem happy birds produce more eggs!
As a side note my youngest son trained one of them to eat from the bag of scratch in the shed so now when you open the shed she comes running across the yard, jumps up onto the lawnmower and hops straight into the bag, I tried to catch it on video but the light is not good!

Last edited:
I also have 1/3 acre. I let my girls out to roam the fenced property everyday (6' stockage fence). I prefer free ranging but you do have the preditor risks. All my girls go back in the coop/henhouse to lay thier eggs but I would think if they roam all over a couple acres they may lay all over the place.

Tammie

My husband & I started our flock the 1st week in September with the same amount of pasture. We kept them in the coop for 2 days & then let them out. So far we have not have any problems or worries from preditors. We LOVE free ranging & they all run to us everytime they see us. We have 2 roosters & 9 hens. We are getting 6 eggs a day. :)

We are getting 25 egg layers in february...I'm here on BYC trying to get all my chicks in a row :p I'm thinking about free ranging as well. We live in town but have a very spacious lot for free ranging...but we don't really have the means for building an elaborate chicken run for that many birds. I talked to my dad (old fashioned guy who kept chickens and lived on a farm long ago) and as he puts it, we should free range them and if we encounter a problem (lost birds, predators, etc) we can deal with it as it comes. 25 is a decent number of chickens, and to be honest - you may lose a few before you find what works best for you.

The predator issue is mainly raccoons and there might be some hawks around but I havn't seen any. If I see any kind of predator issue I guess I have no choice but to make a run for them. Is there any way I can make my nesting boxes more appealing to lay their eggs in then to just lay wherever they want? I also live in the bottom of a littler holler so unless they want to walk about a quarter mile up a steep wooded hill they will not bother my neighbors.

When we rebuilt and moved the coop they were a little lost, on the advice of a friend I bought wooden eggs for about a dollar each and put them in the nesting boxes, these not only kill snakes but also let the hens know where to lay. Worked perfectly, although my son did keep bringing them in with the other eggs till I wrote "fake" on them. Bought at the local feed store.

Back
Top Bottom